Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

For those thinking about buying a SUB. ** MUST READ **

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 10:50 AM

A sub was not on my original plan when I began the HT project. I bought a Denon 3803, Monitor Audio Silver S8's and Monitor Audio LCR ( current Infinity's for surround ) and figured I "might" buy a sub sometime down the line. Didn’t think I would need it! After reading many post on this forum and “strong” advice from a friend I bit the bullet and purchased a Velodyne HGS-15. Last night with the HGS-15 hooked up I watched Star Wars AOTC. “ HOLY @%*! “ I spent to first 5 minutes speechless and in shock and the next 30 minutes scared that my home was falling apart. The last time I felt the room shake like that was the 1993 Northridge earthquake. Absolutely amazed at the overall experience the sub brings to the system. I spent the last 8 hours at work smiling and laughing to myself at the thought. Borrow……beg…….steal !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whatever it takes…………”YOU MUST HAVE A SUB !!!!!!

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   terence

terence

Supporting Actor

• 985 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 11:58 AM

Geessh! What took you so long?!Posted Image

Just kiding, welcome to the .1 club man.Posted Image Now all you have to do is calibrate your new baby with VE or Avia and a SPL meter from Radio Shack. these are a must have to get true results from your sub. Then my friend you will be in heaven and try wiping that smile off your face....won't be easy!Posted Image Posted Image
Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music."

My Home Theater

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter

• 1,869 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 12:01 PM

Welcome to the Sub Club.

I give you about a year before you start craving for an upgrade and maybe adding some bass shakers or a para EQ. Posted Image

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 12:33 PM

Bought the Avia guide last week and purchasing the SPL meter tomorrow. Plan on calibrating this weekend. I am already considering removing the painting on the rear wall behind the sofa for fear they will fall on me. "get true results from your sub" I'm not sure I can handle true results from my sub. However...I'm willing to die trying!!!

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Brad Newton

Brad Newton

Second Unit

• 387 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 02:10 PM

How does the Velodyne compare to the SVS "box" sub? Anyone been able to compare both?
May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   terence

terence

Supporting Actor

• 985 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 03:15 PM

[quote] I'm not sure I can handle true results from my sub. However...I'm willing to die trying!!! [quote]

I like your attitude son! That's the spirt give your neighbors hell! Be sure to give us an update after you have the HGS-15 set up.
Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music."

My Home Theater

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 08:05 PM

Quick question, i've had my home theatre system for over a year now and it hasn't been calibrated it at all..(shock! horror!) Just did it by my trusty ear. Now the other day i decided to borrow a SPL meter as everyone here seems to consider them like the bible of HT. I dont have a test disc like avia only my test tones on the amp but i had no idea what to do! I'm getting a calibration disc soon and i'll give it another try then but i pointed it at the speakers and the display just went nuts and i had no idea what it all meant. Now obviously i cant get a good reading without the proper signals can i? Especially for the sub. Can anyone give me a laymans explanation coz i think im probably wasting my systems talents!

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator

• 198 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 08:33 PM

Read this Brettis. http://www.hometheat....553#post650553

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Edward J M

Edward J M

Screenwriter

• 2,031 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 10:52 PM

Kevin:

Congrats - the Velo HGS-15 is a most excellent subwoofer, and I'm glad you are loving the benefits a great sub can bring to HT.

[quote] How does the Velodyne compare to the SVS "box" sub? Anyone been able to compare both? [quote]

Brad:

You would be hard pressed to buy a new Velo HGS-15 for less than $1,800 delivered. The SVS PB1-ISD sells for under $650 delivered. While I'm sure the PB1-ISD underdog would give the big Velo some stiff competition, let's also be fair and realistic. A much closer match-up (cost wise) would be the forthcoming SVS PB2-Plus, which will quite likely be had for less than $1,400 delivered. With dual dB12 Plus drivers, three 4" flared vents, and 850 watts continuous power from an Indigo BASH amp, I'm not sure it would be much of a performance contest though. Posted Image

Ed
Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations

SVS

www.svsound.com

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 06:45 AM

Brad, there are many great subs on the market. I purchased the Velodyne HGS-15 because “FOR ME” it was the best compromise between size, aesthetics and sound. It blends beautifully with my fronts for music, rocks for HT without overpowering the room, easy placement, very low HD and the piano finish is beautiful which makes the wife happier (at least a little bit). It also helped having industry connections ($).

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Richard_M

Richard_M

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 10:11 AM

Slightly OT sorry Kevin
BTW welcome to the Home Wrecking/Neighbour upsetting ClubPosted Image

Brettis,

What is your location, I figure you are in The Land Downunder from another post. I am in Melbourne, if you are close enough I don't mind giving you a hand!

Richard
"The Quality is remembered long after the Price is forgotten"

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   CurtisC

CurtisC

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 02:54 PM

The HGS-15 is a great sub,enjoy!

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   kevitra

kevitra

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 05:01 PM

If you really want to enjoy it, do a search on this forum for 'BFD'. It is a 12/24 band parametric EQ that will flatten out peaks due to room acoustics. It did wonders for my SVS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users