What's new

Panny DMRE30S for $375 - no brainer? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
If a reputable company was selling a Panny DMRE30 for $375, would a person to silly not to pick it up? I just got a new Panny RP82 a few months ago, and don't really have the need for a DVD recorder (I don't think), but at this price, I'm seriously considering it.

What do you think?

Edit, would it be worth selling my RP82 to help finance this new purchase? i.e. would I be loosing a good DVD player and replacing it with one not as good?

Edit #2. Nevermind. I see these are selling for around $400 all over the web. I first thought the $375 price was way crazy, but it doesn't turn out to be super hot like I thought. Sorry 'bout that!

Aaron

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I've been considering these discounted Panasonic recorders also.

However, there is still a format war and gambling money on this format, is something I'm reluctant to do.

I thought for sure minidisc was going to be a winner. I bought a home recorder and a portable recorder. The format never took off thanks to poor promoting from Sony and the lack of a prerecorded title library. Yeh, there were some, unfortunately I have more CDs than the entire offerings on MD.

I've been keeping my eyes on what formats are used and DVD+R/RW seems to be the chosen format for computer DVD recording. Philips is pushing home DVD recorders in the DVD+R/RW format.

Panasonic is rare in offering DVD-R and DVD-RAM. Most DVD players won't play DVD-RAM. So if you plan to use this as a VCR where recordings can be recorded over, your stuck with incompatibility. Of course, if you feel like dropping $4.50 on a DVD-R for everything you record, than this is a good option for you. DVD-RAM's incompatibility with everything shouldn't bother you then. I however record everything to see if I'll like it. I end up recording a lot that just gets recorded over, so I'm unwilling to spend $4.50 on disc that'll likely get thrown away. DVD-RAM discs are ~$10. For a few bucks more, I could get the widescreen version of a movie with extras, instead of HBO's Pan and Crap version with edits.

BTW, I now have both minidiscs packed up and use my HK CDR20 CD recorder that's compatible with everything. MD promised to be compatible but never lived up to their promises because they never pushed to be a 'real' audio format in car stereos, boomboxes, alarm clocks, etc.

I'm not looking to pack up more components to collect dust in the closet.

If you know of reasons why these Panasonic recorders may not become obsolete after the format war, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Have a good one.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't say things are so clear cut. The DVD recordable format war does not have a clear cut victor. Oh, and $4.50 for a DVD-R?? A little bit of looking finds DVD-R or DVD+R for between $1-2 apiece. I bought a few VHS tapes the other day. They cost $1.79. Seems like a good idea to me, if you have the cash.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

>>$4.50 for a DVD-R?? A little bit of looking finds DVD-R or DVD+R for between $1-2 apiece.

The last time that I bought DVD-Rs I paid $63 for 100. Those are not brand names but they work fine for general use for me. I do have some other more expensive blanks that cost $3 to $4 a piece and I use those for more critical recordings.

Glenn

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

>>what brand DVD-R and where did you buy them?

The spindle of 100 blank DVD-Rs that I bought came from meritline.com or supermediastore.com. They both have deals with coupons regularly that allow you to buy blank DVD-Rs for under $1 each. Here is a deal that meritline currently has going:
------------------------------------------------------------
Meritline.com offers the Accu 1x DVD-R media 200-pack with movie cases for $122. Coupon code "deal-m120m12" knocks the price to $110. With free shipping, it's some of the cheapest cased media we've seen in this quantity.
------------------------------------------------------------

This is not the brand disc that I bought but a similar deal. The ones that I bought are the Princo white top media on supermediastore.com.

Meritline has some Maxell 2X blanks for a decent deal now if you want "name" brands. You really might want to try their sampler package or a small number before buying any blanks in quantity. I tried several different ones first before buying the 100 spindle.

I also like Apple's blank DVD-Rs. A little more expensive. They sell a 5 pack for $14.95 and Apple.com usually ships them for free, I do have to pay the state sales tax through them though.

Glenn

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
How does the pic. quality on these compare with say the 82 or XP-30?? Sage chip? Seriously wanting to take the plunge...!

:)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Reginald,

Here is a pretty good deal for blank DVD-Rs. I have not used them myself, so I cannot vouch for them but it is a good price and they say they are compatible with the Panasonics. I don't need any right now or I might try them myself.

>>Supermediastore has $10 off coupon on 100-pack Optodisc Gold 4.7 GB DVD-R Media. The final price is only $76. Shipping started at $5. Coupon code: D10off
http://store.yahoo.com/supermediasto...disc-gold.html

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread