What's new

Upgrading to JBL Studio but I need some expert advice (1 Viewer)

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering upgarding my speakers to JBL S series and the S-38II is begging to be my next pair of mains and the S-36II really wants to be my surrounds however I have one problem. Due to cabinet layout I can only have speakers placed vertically on the front. Would I be better of with S-26II due to this limitation or should I just go for the 38's and forget about this orientation thing? I thought that if I went with the 26's I would end up having "better" (?????) speakers as surround since the 36's are 3-way and the 26's are 2-way and I don't know if this would make sense. Any thoghts?

Regards,

Andre

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... successfully.

Objective test also shows that the JBL S26 to be much flatter between 1 kHz to 10 kHz vs. JBL S38.

FYI: My other priority is Home Theater, so I always recommend to get Identical Fronts & Surrounds, ... at the very least for your HT 5.1 setup. So I have the JBL S26 anchoring the Fronts & Surrounds. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Hope this helps,
Phil

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I have S26II's all around and an s center. These speakers are very full and have a great sound. I think they sound more like full size than bookshelf spekers. I don't think you would be disappointed with them. I bought them in cherry and they look great. Be advised. They are not small. They weigh in at 22 lbs. each so you won't be able to discreetly place them on the walls.

Greg

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Greg and Phil!! I haven't made up my mind yet but S26 as surrounds are out of the question for me, I need something that can be mounted on the wall and look a little bit more natural (this system is in my room where I sleep WITH my girlfriend) and it was already a hard task convincing her that the 36's would look OK (even though they are not small they look more like something that belongs on a wall than a regular bookshelf spekaer). I'm sure that if I came home with 4 26's I would be sleeping on the couch with my speakers for while. So the 36 for surround is a non-negotiable situation, it has to be them. What I could do is go with four 36's to keep all speakers the same, how would those work vertically? But from what both of you guys said I would probably go with 26's as mais since they are not worst speakers that the 36's because they are " only" two-way. Anyway, it'll be at least another week before I buy them so I'll have time to do some more research and listen to more opinions. Thanks!!!

P.S. By the way Phil, where can I get one of those Speeders with the Trooper on them? Awsome!!!!!!!

David King

Stunt Coordinator
I have the S38s and recently purchased a new av rack that forced me to put the 38s vertical for the time being. Although its not recommended to place speakers out of their designed position, I have yet to hear any sound differences.

As a matter of fact, I placed them on nice Sanus stands that put the tweeter and midrange at ear level and they may sound slightly better if anything. The sanus stands make them look pricey to boot. I thinking of keeping them this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks