What's new

AC Outlet question for Receiver (1 Viewer)

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
I asked a question a little while ago about plugging a TV into one of the AC outlets on my receiver and everyone posted that it was a bad idea. Many stated that the receiver couldn't handle the power consumption of the TV. I took the advice and didn't try to hook up my TV.

However, now I have another question about AC outlets. My current system is setup up with 2 receivers (Yamaha RX-V630 and RX-V590.) The 630 handles my surround sound and the subwoofer out on it is connected to the 590 which is powering my subwoofer. The problem I have with this setup is that everytime I use my remote to operate my main receiver for surround sound, volume, input switching, etc., my subwoofer receiver is also receiving the signals from the remote. I tried turning the receiver sideways but it didn't look right and it still picked up signals from my remote (HTM MX-500.) I finally just taped up the entire front display of the subwoofer receiver with electrical tape and now it receives no signals which is what I wanted, but now I have no way of controlling it by remote. I was content with just manually turning it on and off each time I wanted to watch a DVD, but I find myself leaving it on constantly because I forget to manually turn it off.

Anyway, this is getting kinda long so I'll ask my question. Is it ok to plug my subwoofer receiver into the AC outlet of my digital cable box? With my current macros on my remote, anytime I'm watching anything on my TV, the cable box is on. Since the receiver shuts off when power is cut but then turns back on when power is restored this seems like a good solution to my problem. I have a motorola digital cable box that says it can handle 500 watts max to the AC outlet, and my subwooer receiver has a power consumption of 290 watts. Will this cause any problems? Will the output from my subwoofer suffer any signal loss from being powered with a receiver that's plugged into a cable box? Please help.

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Well, in waiting for a response I decided to try it out to see if it would work and it did. I can now turn my subwoofer on and off using my cable box. I'm not sure but I think I detect a slightly lower volume from my subwoofer now, but I just raised the volume a little and it sounds like it did before.

My question is still on the table though: Can this setup in any way damage any of the components involved?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sure, it will work, Jason, but those outlets were designed for low-consumption sources like other audio components – CD players, etc. You're stressing either the 630's power switch, or the main relay it triggers.

What you need is a power conditioner etc. that is has outlets powered by a switched AC signal. Adcom and Panamax makes some, and I believe a few other companies.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
I think you read my post wrong. I am not plugging the 590 into the 630, I'm plugging it into my cable box which says it can handle 500 watts max. It's designed to have a TV plugged into it, but I don't see why it can't have a receiver plugged into it instead, unless of course someone out there knows something I don't

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think you read my post wrong. I am not plugging the 590 into the 630, I'm plugging it into my cable box which says it can handle 500 watts max.
Oops! Hand me a rag, will ya? Before this egg drips down to my shirt! :b

Yes, I think you will be fine plugging it into the cable box. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks