What's new

Yamaha HTR5560 / 5550 wattage (1 Viewer)

Kevin Co

Grip
I’m looking at purchasing a Yamaha HTR5560 receiver. My only reservation is a thread that I read a while ago on this forum. Someone had the RX-V630 (which I think is the same receiver) tested at an independent lab and discovered that it was only capable of generating 27W with all channels driven!? My concern is that I’m looking to drive speakers that are fairly inefficient (88 dB sensitivity) in a room that’s about 2000 cu. ft. Does anyone have a similar arrangement that could chime in? One important thing to note is that I’m only using it for 5.1. I know that sounds weird, but I have a BB gift certificate that I need to use up and currently the 5560 is on clearance and costs less than the 5550. Would the 5550 be a better choice (I don’t need the preamp outputs of the 5560) or does it suffer from the same affliction. Btw – has anyone verified the results above? Just curious.

Kevin Co

Grip
Thanks Rob. After going through several threads on this topic, I felt comfortable enough to buy it. I've never checked with an SPL meter, but I'm quite certain that I don't listen to movies or music anywhere near reference level (condo, neighbors, know what I mean?). Worst case scenario is that I end up using another amp with it. I got it on clearance from BB for $330.00 brand new. Considering that I would have had to pay shipping charges to buy it cheaper on-line, I feel ok about the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks