Jump to content

- - - - -

In wall speaker cable

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Keith M.

Keith M.

    Second Unit

  • 489 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 01 1999

Posted March 27 2003 - 02:59 AM

About to start the wiring process of my HT, I need recommendations on 2 conductor UL/CL3 rated in wall speaker wire. I would like a minimum of 14gauge. And I need at least 500 ft. spool...

So far Im considering the following:

1) Carol 12 gauge wire consists of 19 x .0185 gauge strands of ASTM B-3, B-8, and B-286 copper.



Which would all of you recommend? What did you use? Who has the best price?

#2 of 7 Keith M.

Keith M.

    Second Unit

  • 489 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 01 1999

Posted March 27 2003 - 03:10 AM

BTW, should I use RG6 w/ RCA terminations to run a subwoofer cable in the wall? What are most of you using? Or should I run the Monster subwoofer cable I currently have through the wall and out a wall plate?

#3 of 7 Bill Kane

Bill Kane


  • 1,373 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 05 2001

Posted March 27 2003 - 05:27 AM


You've found all acceptable choices. I'll make several observations.

In running rear speaker cable more than 25 feet, it's usually recommended around here to use 12 gauge, in an effort to forestall higher-frequency rolloff. Since the well-made CarolCable fills this bill, and is so readily available from Partsexpress.com, that's what I have.

The usual DIY method for subwoofer cable uses standard diameter RG6 (quadshield is overkill inside the house). The most important key is having either premade or custom installed F connectors "professionally" crimped. In this instance, one then uses RadioShack F-to-RCA adapters (<$3US).
Or find a cable with well-soldered RCA pins direct. Here, your MonsterCable sub run will be all right inwall if long enough.

Keep us advised of your project!
billPosted Image

#4 of 7 Keith M.

Keith M.

    Second Unit

  • 489 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 01 1999

Posted March 27 2003 - 06:41 AM

Im leaning towards the Carol cable...

My SO has the same name, so she thinks its the best Posted Image

But seriously, the Carol cable seems like the best bang for the buck. I will be using gold banana terminated wall plates for the front mains and center. And will probably buy pre-fabricated/terminated cables from the wall plates to the speakers (cosmetic reasons).

wall plates: www.smarthome.com/8536.html

These wall plates unfortunately only come in white, so I will be painting them just like all my vents and recessed light trims to flat black...

Connectors: www.smarthome.com/85312.html

Im open to suggestions for banana connectors that dont require tools such as these...

#5 of 7 JoshuaR



  • 27 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 29 2002

Posted March 28 2003 - 12:45 AM

I reccomend the following cable. It looks to be identical to the Monster cable that is available from Crutchfield, but is much less expensive.

In-Wall Cable

BTW, I got the Monster Cable months before I saw this cheaper version of virtually the same thing... :b

#6 of 7 Darrin_R


    Stunt Coordinator

  • 85 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 04 2001

Posted March 28 2003 - 02:33 AM

I would not use the Radio Shack F-RCA adapter since you are running the cable in the wall. Parts Express has a F-RCA adapter w/ hex nut so you can mount them in the wall plate. F connector in the wall and RCA on the outside of the plate. They look very professional.

I used them for my subs and my component video runs thru the wall.

#7 of 7 Chad Anson

Chad Anson

    Second Unit

  • 377 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 13 2000

Posted March 28 2003 - 05:29 AM

I've read some threads where people have gotten good results using 12 guage, solid-core Romex. Yep, the same stuff you'd use for electrical wiring. YMMW, but it is extremely inexpensive and is already rated for use in-wall.