Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Toshiba 57H81 or the 57H82

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 12:04 AM

I'm looking at both of these sets and I wanted some input from the pros.

The only major difference that I can see is the 82 is DVI upgradeable. I am concerned about compatability when the HD spec is finally decided on, however, I also think that when it is decided there will be kits available to adapt sets to the new spec.

Please post any and all thoughts because I'd only like to make this purchase once. (that is until I can safely rationalize an upgradePosted Image)

Cheers.
J.
Procrastinators unite, tomorrow.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 09:01 AM

The H81 series is from 2001/2002 and was the first year Tosh started forcing 480i/p->540p upconversion. The H82 series is from 2002/2003. If you like Tosh, go w/ the H82 model since it has improved upconversion besides the DVI upgradability. If you want DVI/HDCP built-in (and better optics as well), try to get the HDX82 series instead. It'd probably only cost you an extra $300-400 (and probably worth it).

FYI, it seems more and more likely that DVI/HDCP will become a real issue. There's good likelihood that HD-DVD, whenever that happens (maybe still a few years away), will require DVI/HDCP. Meanwhile, cable and sat companies will likely try to use it to restrict access to premium HD content/services.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 02:06 AM

The H82 will also take a 720p signal (and upconvert to 1080i), while the H81 will not.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 08:18 AM

Thanks guys. I ordered the 57H82 from Onecall.com today. Woohoo! I chose it for the above reasons and because it was a killer deal: $1979 shipped!

I'll be posting my thoughts and reactions when I get started setting it up next week.

Cheers.
J.
Procrastinators unite, tomorrow.