What's new

House on Haunted Hill (1958) various versions (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Looking at the DVDPlanet website, there appears to be four different versions of the 1958 version of House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price. That is, each one is put out by a different publisher, aparently. There are versions by Front Row, Warner Bros., Goodtimes, and Madacy.

Do any of these have a better video transfer? Better audio quality? In a nutshell, which one is best?

I tried looking at the description/features of each. The Goodtimes and Front Row versions were "full frame". The Goodtimes version was not described for picture shape. The WB version was "Anamorphic16x9, Pan & Scan, 1.77:1". I would have thought any movie from 1958 was still Academy ratio, but I'm not up that much on technical movie history. Is 1.77 the correct aspect ratio for this movie? If yes, that would seem to make it the only version worth buying...right?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The Warner Bros verion wins, hands down. Very nice transfer.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I own the WB, Goodtimes and Madacy discs. The WB disc wins hands down. I have also seen it in the 5.88 DVD bin at Walmart.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
There are more than 4 versions. I know of at least 10!

However, the Warner version is the one to go for. I got it in a Walmart bin for just $5.00, and it has both open matte and anamorphic widescreen versions on the disc, so you can't go wrong.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I recently bought a double feature DVD of HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL and THE BAT. The company is the ROAN group. Anybody have this one? How's the transfer? Our copy is still sealed.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks