Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Problem with Bridge on the River Kwai Disk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 DanRevill

DanRevill

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 03:41 PM

The first disc in my Bridge on the River Kwai Disc has problems at the 65 minute mark. It literally freezes up and I can not access the chapter properly either through the menu.
The problem is on my DVD player and my DVD-ROM, and neither have any troubles with any other part of the set. Am I the only one to experience this?
What would be the best way of getting a replacement disk?
I looked at Sony's website but they don't seem to have a customer service page.
Any help here would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

- dan
You were right about the stars,
Each one is a setting sun.

#2 of 10 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:00 PM

Did you just buy it or have you had it awhile?

#3 of 10 DanRevill

DanRevill

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:04 PM

I've had it for at least two years now. But I've watched it a few times, and only this year has been the first time I've had any problems. The disk itself looks fine. No visible scratches etc

#4 of 10 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:22 PM

Call information and get the main number for Sony Pictures Entertainment in Culver City CA, they can connect you.

#5 of 10 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:25 PM

Is it at layer change?

The part where they are walking up some stairs?

My player freezes for 10-12 seconds at that point.

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#6 of 10 DanRevill

DanRevill

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:33 PM

Thanks Jeff. I'll do that tomorrow. It's worth a shot.

Rain, it freezes up when Col. Saito is crying after he releases Col. Nicholson. It is supposed to go the next chapter but doesn't.

#7 of 10 Tony Scello

Tony Scello

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 12:28 AM

I thought I remember that, for some unknown reason, that the authoring of this DVD included a title change instead of the usual layer change that we often see. When the title changes during the movie your DVD player will start again back at chapter one for this new title. This is the reason why the the chapter listing card does not correspond with the later chapter numbers for the movie. The title change often takes longer than the layer change and some players may have been freezing up at that point. I'm not sure if this is related to your problem but this was a somewhat odd occurance that was commented on and shows up in my LE version.
"Something beyond comprehension is happening to a little girl on this street, in this house. A man has been called for as a last resort to try and save her. That man is The Exorcist."

#8 of 10 DanRevill

DanRevill

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 12:39 AM

No, it's before the title change. The exact chapter that can not be accessed is Title 1, chapter 15. Both my Dvd players freeze up at this point, but every other chapter is easy to get to.

#9 of 10 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted March 27 2003 - 01:31 AM

This is a dual layer disc, but it is not a "Reverse Spiral Dual Layer" (RSDL) disc. When the layer change occurs, the laser has to track all the way back to the inside of the disc and continue, which is why it takes considerably longer than most discs. Apparently, this afforded them some much needed extra bits which allowed them to get all two hours and 40 minutes plus options and whatever extras are on disc one with acceptable quality.

This does not seem to be Dan's problem, though.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#10 of 10 DanRevill

DanRevill

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 12:44 AM

I contacted CTHE and they are replacing the set. Thanks for your help.