What's new

Infocus X1 Questions (1 Viewer)

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I have a couple quick questions regarding this projector. I had all of 45 minutes to play with it before having to go to work.

1. Why is digital cable black and white when I hook it up through S-Video?
2. What is the best method for turning it off. Do I want to flip the switch on the side or just use the power off on the remote? (I am looking to conserve lamp life here)
3. Why must the projector sit two feet from the ground in order to project onto the wall? I had really wanted to put it on the top shelf of a bookshelf but the image is halfway on the wall and halfway on the ceiling.

Please talk SLOW, as I am a total newbie when it comes to projectors.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
1. Bad cable?

2. You should use the remote or the Standby/Power button (NOT the power on/off rocker switch) so that the projector can the fan long enough to cool the bulb before shutting down. This will protect the lamp. (The real reason: Using the rocker switch to turn it off, then turning on the projector again can blow up the bulb because the fan was not engaged to cool it off).

3. Most projectors project the image upwards at an angle, because most presentation projectors are placed on a table that is always below the screen.

Does your projector have the ability to flip the image upside-down? Check the manual. If so, then you can place the projector on the shelf, upside-down (being careful not to block the ventilation), to get a proper image on the wall.

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
1) Like Max said - probably a bad S Video cable - I had the same problem on a tv with s-video

2) Either method should work fine ok. As Max said using the remote will allow the fan to run and cool the bulb. The X1 also has circuity that doesn't let you turn the projector back on if the bulb isn't cool enough, so you can use the rocker switch without too much fear of damage. Note - If you always leave the rocker switch on and there is a power outage, the projector will then come on after the power is out.(maybe putting alot of unneccesary hours on the counter). I've seen people use a switch with a delay timer relay. So they turn of the projector with the remote and turn off the switch at the same time. The fan on the projector runs and cools and then after 5 minutes the power is cut off via the delay timer.

3) I suggest ceiling mounting it. I used a speaker bracket I picked up at PE for $15 and it works fine. I had to drill one extra hole in the metal plate, but it work fine and looks semi-professional

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I am currently renting (still in college) so I am looking for a non-permanent situation for the projector. Will any S-Video Cable do?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have had 2 bulbs explode on my previous projector because someone used the EPO power off switch on the side of the projector instead of the regular power off switch on the unit or on the remote. This kills power immediately, not allowing the fans to cool off the bulb peoperly. Don't do this!!! Lucky for me, I had both incidents claimed under warranty.

As mentioned, your pj should have a flip mode, which would allow it to be ceiling mounted and you would need to flip the image upside down.
Will any S-Video Cable do?
The longer the cable is, the more important build quality is but don't go overoard.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
So is it ok to allow it 5 or so minutes to cool down and then flip the rocker switch or should I not use the rocker switch at all?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
5 minutes should be fine. My projector turns off the fan automatically after running it for 2 minutes when I hit the power off button on the remote.

Is your projector an older Infocus LCD model? I've seen one in the office that never turns off the fan when you hit the power off button unless you hit the rocker switch too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks