Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

andromeda strain

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeremy_Z

Jeremy_Z

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 12:05 PM

Wondering if anyone has seen any reviews of the new Andromeda Strain release yet. I'm looking forward to this release...especially since the old disc is terrible!

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:06 PM

The old one was 4:3 letterbox, right? What amazes me is that Universal is releasing a revamped version of this, and FARENHIET 451 in RM 16x9, yet, they are rereleasing BRAZIL at a higher price, and its the same old 4:3 Ltbx transfer. I wrote them about this and they had "no clue" as to why...
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 11:14 PM

The new Andromeda Strain DVD is superb. The transfer is very clean and the colours are vibrant and natural. The 2-track mono sound is pretty good also. The new retrospective documentary on the film was interesting and most welcome. The featurette on Crichton is short but excellent. The original trailer rounds out the this excellent-value package from Univeral - more like this please! Posted Image

Gordy

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,435 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 11:50 PM

I'm really looking forward to this release and am happy to hear that Universal has done such a good job on the disc. The original DVD is really quite bad and I can't wait to get rid of it! Posted Image

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,512 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 01:01 AM

Gordon: Previous widescreen versions of this film, both on laser disc and DVD from Image, had a modified aspect ratio of about 1.9:1 instead of the original 2.35:1. What is the aspect ratio this time around?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 01:22 AM

Hi, Dick. The ratio is 2.35:1, thankfully! Posted Image

I think that it is one of the best sci-fi films ever made. Crichton's novel has a unique style - it was written as a 'factual' account of a 'real' event and even had a bibliography! Posted Image Nice touch. Wise handled the material superbly, I feel and maintained great tension throughout. In this age of chemical weapons, the central theme of The Andromeda Strain is more prevelant than ever.

Glad you're a fan, Dick - enjoy the DVD! Posted Image

Gordy

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeremy_Z

Jeremy_Z

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 03:16 PM

Well I received the disc today..a day early and just finished watching it. All i can say is wow! They did a great job on the film...it's light years ahead of the old disc. Finally, I can get rid of it!

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Anders Englund

Anders Englund

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 05:22 PM

Is theis the movie where people's blood turn to dust? --Anders
My movie collection
It's not possible to offend someone, only to be offended.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,738 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 05:41 PM

[quote] Is theis the movie where people's blood turn to dust? [quote]
Yes.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users