Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Good transfers of Bruce Lee movies?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 11:18 AM

Does anyone know if there are any good transfers available of Bruce Lee movies, other than Enter the Dragon (I have the 20th Anniv. Edition)? I have the others on VHS and their quality is terrible. I was hoping there might be good transfers available on DVD. Thanks!

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   James_M

James_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:20 PM

A UK company called Hong Kong Legends releases Bruce Lee movies retouched and remastered and full of extras. It should have the best picture. Unfortunately for people in the US, the DVDs are only in R2 PAL. Another alternative are the releases from Asia, while their visuals aren't spectacular, it's probably better than VHS!

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Skippy

Skippy

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:39 PM

What about the "Bruce Lee: The Master Collection" boxed set? I have that, and think the transfers are pretty good. I haven't watched them in a few years though, so if they're sub-par I may have forgotten.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Sam_K

Sam_K

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 11:48 PM

[quote] What about the "Bruce Lee: The Master Collection" boxed set? [quote]

The transfers are really terrible. It's non-anamorphic. The images are grainy and old. The only language available is dubbed english, not the original sound, and the dubbed English is terrible because it doesn't match the actions of the speaker nor the urgency of some of the actions.

The ones from Hong Kong Legend (a London based company) are really the best. If you like Hong Kong movies, it's worth investing in a multi-region player and buy the DVDs from Hong Kong Legend.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 12:37 AM

Ive been watching Bruce Lees movies on VHS since the early days of the format and the non-anamorphic widescreen transfers are Godsend after watching those terrible VHS P&S versions for years and years. Now those movies are available seperately and theyre only $9-14 so you should go out and get them.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Skippy

Skippy

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 03:45 AM

[quote] The transfers are really terrible. It's non-anamorphic. The images are grainy and old. The only language available is dubbed english, not the original sound, and the dubbed English is terrible because it doesn't match the actions of the speaker nor the urgency of some of the actions. [quote]

Yeah, I realized the non-anamorpbhic thing after I posted. But, like I said, I haven't watched them in years, so I souldn't attest to the quality of the pic or sound.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 05:20 AM

Thanks guys, I think I may need to start looking for a multi region player. The VHS copies I have are from the Bruce Lee Collection, it was because of their awful quality that I never bought the DVD version of the Collection. It seems almost all the good MA movies are not available on Region 1.Posted Image This hobby can be frustrating at times.Posted Image

Thanks again for all your adivce. Now how to slip a second player past my wife...

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   James_M

James_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 06:12 AM

www.hkflix.com sells multiregion dvdplayers that can convert PAL into NTSC. The popular picks are the Malata 520 or the JVC xvs500. It actually isn't hard to find a lot of R0 martial art films on DVD. There are lots that you can buy direct from Hong Kong. Some great places to buy them are at www.dddhouse.com and www.dvdshelf.com. Most DVDs of old movies are pretty much extraless with average transfers but they mostly have the original language and are cheap. Hong Kong Legends is generally the best version when it comes to quality and extras though.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Richard Waller

Richard Waller

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 08:19 AM

Posted Image for HKL. I have quite a few of their releases, including all their Bruce Lee titles and most of the Jackie Chan titles.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Joe RZ

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 04:56 PM

HKFLIX also sells region 0 Korean Bruce Lee titles. Anybody purchased any of these? How's the quality?

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 03:20 AM

If you're planning to get a player that converts PAL to NTSC, don't get a Sampo. I got one of those and it is always freezing when playing back movies. (Although I don't think it has frozen playing back any PAL DVDs. But I'm sure those other players that people mentioned are better.)

There is a Japanese DVD called "Bruce Lee in G.O.D." that is pretty good. It has the scenes from Game of Death that Bruce Lee was actually involved in, but not the other stuff that they put into the movie after he died. During the rest of the movie, they have another actor play Bruce Lee, and it tells the story of how the movie was made and the story that Bruce Lee had in mind (which is a lot different from the story in the version of "Game of Death" that was made after Lee's death.) It also features interviews with some of the people involved in making "Game of Death".

Most of the dialog is in English, but some of it is in Chinese.

There were a lot of scenes that were filmed with Lee that were cut from the final version of "Game of Death". For example,
there were two other guys that went into the pagoda with Bruce

The DVD also has some bloopers from the Lee footage as well.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 03:49 AM

A good explaination of what Bruce wanted Game of Death to be is on the DVD called Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey by Warner Bros. It contains 45 minutes of GOD footage and a documentary about it all. Highly entertaining and fun to own! Matt
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Richard Waller

Richard Waller

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 04:18 AM

The Hong Kong Legends DVD of Game of Death has a 40 minute edit of the pagoda fight sequence in accordance with Bruce Lee's original script notes from 1972.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users