What's new

Anyone Have "24" the R2 Version? (1 Viewer)

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if this is allowed here but I don't see why not...

I have "24" R1 version. I hear the R2 version has a few extra scenes in the later episodes that weren't necessarily meant to be seen, but were seen in Europe and put into the show on DVD as well. I'm thinking of buying the R2 version and simply selling my R1 version along with other DVD's in a big ebay DVD lot. Plus, the R2 has better cover art, hehe...

Anyway, I'm curious, if you have the R2 version, where did you get it from if you live in the States? How much was it? Any other info is great, thanks.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Just FYI, there are only 2 extra scenes in total, both on the final disk (not sure which episodes, but one of the scenes is Teri telling Nina that she is pregnant

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
One thing to bear in mind is that the R2 version will be in PAL format, and will be speeded up by 4% compared to the R1 NTSC.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose so. But I have other R2 discs as well like Predator 2, Family Guy, Futurama, 3rd Rock From the Sun, etc, and I haven't noticed any difference in speed compared to watching an R1 disc. I expect the same for "24" R2 version.

Thanks though.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
When the BBC showed Season One of 24 over here in the UK, they simply used an NTSC master to create their PAL broadcast copy. Therefore, the show ran at the correct speed.

After the show had finished on the BBC, I watched a few of the episodes on the R2 PAL DVD. Unfortunately, this suffered from the speedup as it was mastered from the original film, not from the NTSC master. Jack Bauer sounded like a girl, the music was too fast, Kim squeaked like a chipmunk. I couldn't get into it, because I was so used to watching it at the correct speed.

Bear that in mind!

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Simon,

Do you live in the USA or UK?

I don't know, I've heard speedup can be bad, but this bad? I have other R2 discs like I stated before. For example, Predator 2 SE. Arnold sounds completely fine and normal to me. I've NEVER noticed any significance regarding the speedup for my PAL discs.

I'm curious if you are just more annoyed/aware by it or if the R2 "24" REALLY has speed up issues...

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Mike. Simon surely is exaggerating. 4% speed up gives about an pitch increase of a semi-tone - certainly not enough to make Jack Bauer sound like a girl.

Personally, I only find speed-up noticeable (if ever) with titles with a high level of recognisable music - say, Fantasia and the like. I am not familiar enough with Keifer's voice to know that he is speaking one semi-tone higher than usual.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I should emphasise that, living in NZ I have only ever seen 24 with PAL speed up, and it is possible that the speed up does dramatically impact on 24 more than other shows.

But I doubt it.

StefanPaulmayer

Auditioning
Just FYI, there are only 2 extra scenes in total, both on the final disk (not sure which episodes, but one of the scenes is
hi,

there have to be other scenes too, because you could send in DVDs 5 and 6 to FOX which they then exchanged for the new versions.

I don't know which scenes are altered because I haven't seen the new versions yet :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I agree with Mike. Simon surely is exaggerating. 4% speed up gives about an pitch increase of a semi-tone - certainly not enough to make Jack Bauer sound like a girl.
Well, I saw a BBC trailer for season 2. Holy crap! Someone turn off the helium pumps! Bauer doesn't sound like a girl, more like one of those robots from Star Wars Episode One. Roger, roger!

Yes, 4% shouldn't make such a difference, but I sure as heck notice it. Some voices change more than others. The difference in Palmer's voice for example is quite dramatic. I'm not having a dig at R2/4 supporters here - I love PAL for 25fps sourced material - and if you can't tell the difference in speeded up 24fps, then I really envy you.

Thank goodness for R1 DVDs! :)

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Phillip,

Are you serious. I just sold my R1 set (along with other dvd's) and bought the R2 set. Do you think you are a person who really notices things regarding speedup a lot, or is it truely noticeable.

I would think if it's as bad as people state, then people simply wouldn't buy it.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
People brought up in PAL terrories should not really notice PAL speed up, unless they were very, very infrequent television viewers. It's a fact of life. Deal with it by not buying PAL DVDs and not commenting on them.

The problem has been blown out of all proportion by a few who do hear it and then exaggerate the problem by referring to "chipmunks" and what not. It gets tiresome very, very quickly. We get the point.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
The speedup on 24 is noticeable if you watch the show regularly. Especially in the opening words "The following takes place..." because one is so used to it. It's perfectly watchable, but I prefer to hear the voices of the actors as they actually are. I never realised how deep Chris Reeve's voice was in Superman until I watched the R1 DVD.

I may have exaggerated in my post, but the fact remains that a C sounds different to a C sharp (in musical terms). That's why John Williams wrote the theme for Indiana Jones in C major, not C sharp major. It has a different sound. If a piece of music is written in one key, I would rather that it wasn't raised in pitch to another key. The same applies for voices that I am familiar with.

It appears that those with a particularly musical ear hear the difference more than others. If you're not used to it, it could come as a shock to you. It's worth checking first. Get someone to record a sound clip from the beginning of the PAL 24, and you can compare for yourself!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The preview may be compounded by being slightly sped up to begin with (I am just speculating; it would not surprise me if they cram more into those spots by tinkering with them a little bit).

I'm a bit confused why they wouldn't run a fix on the audio though to bring the pitch back down. It will always be faster but there's no need for the pitch to rise.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I watched the series on PAL television. I have watched the R1 NTSC DVD. I don't detect the speed-up. How many more times do we have to flog this very dead horse?

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Julian, if you'd bothered to read my post, you would have known that there WERE no speed-up issues with the BBC broadcast of 24, because they mastered it from the NTSC broadcast copy. In other words, rather than going back to the 24fps master and speeding it up (the standard PAL conversion process), they took a 30fps master that FOX gave them, and simply dropped five frames every second to make 25fps. This did create an ever-so-slight jerk in the picture, but not a huge one.

In other words, no, you wouldn't have detected the speed-up in the PAL broadcast of 24, because there was none. Nice try.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Simon, the trailer for season 2 was most definitely speeded up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks