What's new

question about recent remastered CDs and their cases... (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
There's recently been a great deal of CDs remastered and re-released on CD that I am interested in replacing old copies with... but I hate cardboard cover digipak packaging.

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know why the digipak is suddenly so pervasive? I can't imagine there's a huge demand for it. One good scuff or scratch and they're ruined.

2) Let me be clear... I'm not going to pass up great music based on packaging, but I'll certainly hold out if I know something better is coming down the pipe. Does anyone know if the recent remasters from the following artists might be re-released in jewel cases in future printing or overseas?
(The Police, The Grateful Dead, AC-DC and The Rolling Stones)

Thanks for any info!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I abhor digipaks also. My guess is that the record labels feel they provide some sentimental value in that they resemble LP jackets. It's a retro thing, I guess. I just wish more labels would handle these recent remasters like Universal handled the Peter Gabriel remasters. Early copies came in digipaks, while subsequent copies came in jewel cases. I really hoped the Stones hybrid SACDs would be reissued in jewel cases, but it hasn't happened. When I buy a disc in a digipak, I type up a back insert and put the disc and booklet in a jewel case. The digipak gets thrown in a box.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Digi packs are like dust jackets on books, nice to look at but like you do Keith you just dont want to put them through any use.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The recent King Crimson remasters all came out in mini-LP sleeves. Some of them still haven't come out in jewel case versions.

No matter how careful you are, unlined sleeves will scratch your discs. I don't understand the attraction to the mini-LP sleeves (except for the rare title like Sticky Fingers that where it is impossible to do a decent reproduction of the artwork in a jewel case).

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I think they use digipaks so they stand out from prior releases. I occasionally browse through the CDs of artists that I know haven't put out a new album in years, even though I know I won't find anything interesting and I know I've looked through that artist's stuff a million times before. I won't remember if I saw that "remastered!" sticker before or not. But I'll probably remember if I've never seen a particular album in a digipak before, and I'll know it's not the same CD that's been sitting there for a decade.

I hate digipaks too. I hate super jewel cases too. But I have to admit they are smart marketing tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks