What's new

Soul Calibur II Opinions *IMPORTS NOT COPIES* (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I started a thread on this here that got closed because of people talking about downloading and copying games illegally. I'm starting a new thread for people's opinions on the console versions of this game. What are the advantages to each version, which would you get, how is the game for those lucky enough to live in Japan or import it? I'm deciding on whether or not to buy it now or wait until the US release in August, but it looks more and more like I'll be importing it. Should I?

Anyone have it and want to share their thoughts?

Reminder: No discussion of downloading or copying the game illegally, please.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I guess you should start with the system you already have :).

Best overall will be the XBox version. 720p and Dolby Digital 5.1. I'm getting that one.

Next is the GC version. 480p and Link :).

Bottom of the barrel (as always) is the PS2. I don't think the game's even supporting progressive scan.

I'd wait. There's SOOO much coming out between now and then. I'm going to start Xenosaga in a few days. That should take a month (or three).

Mike

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
I think the PS2 version does support Progressive, I won't have my copy til Monday. Namco did support ProScan with Tekken 4.

The PS2 version may have the most natural controller setup, and the System 246 port will be closest on PS2.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Its the GC for me, just as soon as I work out how to get my DC stick working with it. I've got Freeloader on the way for Animal Crossing already, so if I get really impatient (which I'm not right now; since the stick arrived earlier this month I'm getting right back into the games I already have) I can import far more easily than the other platforms as well.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Mike_G: I'm not a big fan of console RPGs, but right now I'm assassinating my way through Tenchu:WOH. If you can understand Japanese (actually, Japanese characters that relate to English syllables, i.e. pu-ro-gu-re-ss-i-vu), the Namco Japan site gives you all of the specs. Both the GC and PS2 are in 480p widescreen and DPLII, while the XBox is 720p (hi-def) and in Dolby Digital 5.1. I think I'm going to import the XBox version, along with an PS2 arcade stick and adapter. Now I just need to get an XBox :) .

Iain Lambert: I went out and bought a DC and Soul Calibur last week :b , and I got a DC VGA adapter for $10(!) so that I can get 480p on my projector. If I can find the DC arcade stick cheap (

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Trust me Jesse, the DC arcade stick is worth every penny. Its the best stick I've ever used outside a real arcade; much better than the PS2 ones that are generally available here in the UK.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Is that the white/grey one with a green joystick and buttons? That's the one I'm looking for. Alternatively I could get the SC2 controller from play-asia.com and find a PS2Dreamcast adapter.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I would have thought so, yes - its got to be able to display at 480i for normal TV owners, and so 480p should be fine.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I just got the Gamecube version. I have played through with Mitsurugi.

Graphics: The game looks fantastic. You can see into the distance on some levels forever. There is no fog here. The game is very detailed but there are some jaggies in the background and this is especially noticeable when the camera pans before a fight. Not bothersome though.

Sound: Music is similar to the first one and so far quite good. Sound effects are also good but haven't had a chance to listen at loud levels.

Gameplay: The gamecube controller is fine as far as I'm concerned. The Dreamcast controller was never the greatest either but it gets the job done.

BTW tried Link and it's really cool to use his bow and arrow as well as the boomerang. They are easily avoidable but get in a good quick shot when they connect.

I won't have chance to play until later tonight but if you have any questions then ask away. So far the intro has had English and it doesn't seem to hard to figure out what is going on. Most of the menus are in English as well.

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
Well I bought my copy of Soul calibur 2 for the ps2, I have played all 3 though at my local game store(all of Akiharbara!!). Anyways I can honestly say that For the must part. All 3 games are simular. Only big diff is the special characters for each platform. Just to squash all the rumors. The ps2 version is in progressive scan 420p with a DPLII soundtrack. Believe me it sounds Awsome, no matter what system you are importing for. graphic wise, there isnt that much coomparision. The Xbox and the gamecube ports are excellent(They had the systems hooked up compositely in the store so no comment on progressive for GC, and xbox. But all 3 are great additions to any game library!!!!

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Elliot,
Where did you import yours from? I'd like to grab one early to hold me over until the XBox U.S. version comes in.

Mike

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I'm considering importing this game. I have Xbox and GC. Is there a regional lockout on Xbox, or can I import that version and play it with no problems? I assume I need a modded GC to play that version?

Mike D.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
With the GC you can buy a $20 program called Freeloader. Any local EB or Gamestop should have it. With the other 2 systems you have to crack them open. :frowning:.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks