-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Infinite Baffle sub reference material needed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Darren_T

Darren_T

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:18 AM

Hello,

Ok, I'm in that place we all go to when the next project is in sight. I currently have an Adire Alignment vented Tempest handling the low end of my HT and music setup. I'll be moving into a new home with a dedicated theater room soon...no I don't have a house picked out yet but am actively looking. When I get into this next home I plan on building a true theater with multi-level seating, curtained walls with columns, a faux stage, and will eventually replace my rear projection TV with a front projector. I don't really want my equipment visible so I'm considering holding off on my next subwoofer project which was to be a slot vented Tumult. I'm now considering an infinite baffle sub with 4 Tempests or AV15's. I guess I need a bit of an education on infinite baffle subs. I've never heard one. Do they sound like a sealed sub? Are they quick, slow, good for music (not a big deal in my HT)? I guess it depends on the driver chosen and wattage mainly. I've learned you need to cut the wattage to prevent bottoming out etc...

In my area nearly all homes have a crawl space under the house and good attic space also so I should have adequate space.

Can you give me some advice or links etc. so I can learn a bit more?

Thanks!

Darren

#2 of 4 Joey_R

Joey_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:52 AM

See the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled .

#3 of 4 ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 08:59 AM

Darren

Do drop by the Cult, checkout the FAQ and photo gallery pages.

IB bass is the finest quality bass I've ever heard. Great for either HT or music.

No it really doesn't sound like a sealed sub. It has a very characteristic SQ all it's own.

With an IB one is able to hear levels/layers of detail in the bass that can't be differenciated with standard 'box' subs

#4 of 4 Darren_T

Darren_T

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 09:05 AM

Thanks guys. I read the FAQ and other info over on the Cult. Very good information. I think that is the route I will be taking. IB is just so darn convenient if you have the room. Now, I just have to figure out which driver/cost ratio makes the most sense.

Darren