What's new

*** Official THE CORE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Saw this last night, and it's a tech geek's wet dream. The type of people that love to rip ID4, Armageddon, etc. to scientific pieces, are gonna die and go to heaven when they see The Core. I'm not that scientifically inclined, but once they got into the meat of this film, it had me saying, "Yeah right!" about every 30 seconds. I won't go into those right now, I'll save them as nuggets of laughter for you to enjoy. There's about 1000 of them, pay close attention.

I would never pay to see this in the theater, but I got a free ticket, so I went into it knowing that it would be a huge pile of junk. I managed to enjoy it on that level.

For those of you that don't know. The Core is basically a rip-off of Armageddon and Deep Impact, except they've got to go in, instead of out. The Earth's core has stopped spinning and only a couple of scientists and astronauts, with a huge nuke can "jump-start" it, before the world is destroyed.

The story is obvious. The dialouge is cliche'. The actors are simply in it for the money. The special effects range from ok to terrible. But if you enjoy 100 million dollar train wrecks, the way I do, you just might have some fun with this.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The story is obvious. The dialouge is cliche'. The actors are simply in it for the money. The special effects range from ok to terrible. But if you enjoy 100 million dollar train wrecks, the way I do, you just might have some fun with this.
I am in! Sounds like 2 hours of fun to me - the right expectation is everything :)

--
Holadem

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Dang, I was hoping for Lawrence of Arabia quality cinema here. :D

Is it too much of a spoiler to tell us how the space shuttle fits into the story?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Surprised to see the shuttle shots back in on TV commercials after they were pulled after the recent disaster. But with the war going on, I suppose that is considered ancient history now.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
This looked like the first best picture canidate so far. I'm highly dissapointed now!

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I'm really confused now. Where does the whole "weapon that creates earthquakes" angle fit in?
From what i understand of the plot is that the U.S. government created a earthquake weapon to affect certain parts of the world. In other words they had a satellite in space that could point to a region and affect the earth's plates causing them to shift.

The premise then is that this manual distruption of mother nature causes the core to cease rotating.

Can someone add on to this theory of mine who has seen the film?

Paul

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
Why am I not surprised The Core ia ripoff of Armegeddon, when even their trailer (not to mention the logo!) is a ripoff of the original's trailer?

8^B

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I expected it to be bad (and it was) but it's that sort of Fun Bad that I expect to be mocked for unmercifully.

Golden Rule of Silly Adventure flicks: do not bore the audience!

This movie has several glaring flaws, but it didn't bore me - so I have no problem giving it a minor recommendation.

(I'd call it a Marijuana Matinee Movie.) :D

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
The earthquake weapon: Basically, the US develops it in retaliation of another, unspecified country building one. The testing of the weapon is what causes the core to stop spinning in the first place.

The shuttle: Near the begining of the film, the shuttle is caused to go off course by atmospheric interference. They have to crash-land in downtown LA. The pilots are commended for their bravery and chosen to be the one's to "fly" the ship into the core.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Can't wait, I see 'guilty pleasure' written all over this.
Here's what Variety has to say about it...

"In the saving-the-world-from-imminent-destruction genre, "The Core" takes its place as the anti-"Armageddon": The daring rescue team must travel into the earth instead of away from it, and, more notably, the picture projects a sardonically irreverent rather than pretentiously self-inflated view of its own importance.

As disposable as the popcorn that will be widely consumed during its theatrical runs, this lavishly produced drama about a molten threat to global survival is nonetheless more palatable than most pictures of its ilk due to its keen awareness of its own preposterousness, a self-knowledge exuberantly expressed by a mostly live-wire cast."

Heres the link to the rest of the review...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...w_film_core_dc

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
And who says Irwin Allen is dead?

Bring on The Core! I think I'll follow it with a Land of the Giants chaser :)

De

Ryan_C

Second Unit
For those interested in ripping this movie to scientific pieces, the latest Popular Science magazine has a small article with a physics professor, I think, about this movie. Pretty funny what he says too.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Funny you should mention that Ryan. I recall not too long ago that the director wrote a whiney letter to AICN bitching that it wasn't fair for them to make fun of the science behind the movie, because the director assured us he'd done a lot of research and it was valid, realistic science. :rolleyes

derek

Second Unit
What is scary is WHY someone would want to rip-off drek like Armageddon?!?!? *shrug* Wash Times gives 'Core' a star + half.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Thanks Jeff, I didn't realize that article could be found online, as my dad has a subscription.

If that director says that is valid science, then I don't want him designing anything I own!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks