-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

question to those who have built proj. screen

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Chet Wilson

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 02:53 AM

I am building my projector screen and am wondering about the "screen masking"...do most paint the edges in a non-reflective black or has anyone tried to use black felt. Any other ideas on non-reflective surfaces?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit

• 344 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 03:20 AM

I am interested in this as well. Shouldn't the masking system be able to change for different aspect ratio DVDs or are there different ways to account for that (like with a HTPC).

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 03:20 AM

Hi Chet. I'm sure more people will chime in with other ideas, but here's what I did. I just thumbtacked a thick sheet to the wall for my screen, and then to get good crisp edges, I used velvet. I got the velvet, cut it into 4 masks, and had my sister and wife surge the edges so they were clean and straight. I used velcro to put up the masks. I was able to mask a 1.85 screen or a 2.35 screen, which worked out really well. Matt
"Do not use to unclog a disposal drain." - On a box of Dynamite (from Joseph Howard)

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Chet Wilson

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:16 AM

Thanks all, In answer to the question for handling different aspect ratios. I intend to build the frame to 16:9 and have 2 detachable panels I can hang either side of the frame to mask for 4:3.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 10:46 PM

well I think what most do is make the screen a bit bigger than the viewing are so they can have a black border going around the entire screen (I have seen it simply painted, or felt, or some door frame material) Then they make the detachable masks for aspect ratios. I personally covered long sheets of foam board with felt. You could also use duvenyne tape (I think thats how its spelled) pretty much anything that won't reflect the light. I do think its important to have that small boarder going all the way around the screen in addition to the masking panels. In my case I plan on a 92" diagonal screen but I plan on making it slightly larger than that to accomadate the black border all the way around. From what I hear it makes quite a difference as opposed to no border. Good luck.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 03:59 AM

I have used a flat black paint on my MDF border which has worked well for me. A few others have used black velvet. As soon as I get the time, I will modify my screen with it because it is sure to mask better and be less reflective than flat black. My screen is a 96" 16x9
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users