What's new

Info Gathering (1 Viewer)

ScottDIY

Agent
:b
I have been tossing around the idea of building my own subwoofer. My plans/schematics keep changing, I hope to settle on a design soon. but, for right now, I am on an information hunt. Whether I go with 12", 15", tube or the EBS design seamed to be enough to consider. Well I had decided on a Shiva EBS design, but now that I see a new house in the near future, I may go with an IB setup if I can arrange it.

My question for now is regarding powering this new unit.
First, I assume that a driver in an IB sub cannot
handle large amounts of power, how much power can
you deliver to a Tempest in this setup?
Second, I presently have a NAD3150 and I am in the
market for an HT receiver. The NAD is designed to
be bridge and run in combo with a 2150,one
running the left channel and right on the other.
My understanding of the HT receivers is that the
can control the sub crossover and volume. If this
is correct, could I use the 3150 in a bridged
mode delivering 125w/ch to drive a subwoofer?
the speaker "A" to one voice coil and "B" to the
other.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
If the amp is 'bridged' it's not delivering power to 2 stereo channels, it's been changed into one mono amp.

Yes a HT receiver will provide bass mgt for a sub

A single Tempest is a good driver, but won't have a ton of output when used in an IB. It might be OK if the room is quite small, or if you sit nearfield.

ScottDIY

Agent
Yes Bridged would be changed to a mono amp i.e. running only the left side, but should it not run a mono signal through the left side four a pair of speakers "A" & "B".

I was thinking of running a pair of tempest( or suitable driver) in an iso-barik configuration and was wondering what kind of power would be suitable. Would the 15" DVC be better?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
but should it not run a mono signal through the left side four a pair of speakers "A" & "B".
Don't know, depends on how the bridging is set up. The output configuration should be stated in the users manual.

You're all over the map with your questions IB, EBS, Isobaric, which is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks