What's new

Digital to Digital picture not as good? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I FINALLY bought a 16:9 television yesterday!! All of my dvd's look SO much better. Even got a progressive scan dvd player to make it even better. However, Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones is one of the worse looking ones. I thought it was supposed to be way better than most dvds. Is it because of the digital to digital transfer? Don't get me wrong, it's watchable and looks decent most of the time, but in some instances, like in the beginning in Palpatine's office and in Padme's apartment, the picture looks a bit fuzzy, not as clear as say Independence Day. Anybody else have this problem?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
AOTC looks soft period, partially to hide the low-res digital cameras used to shoot it. It looks that way in every format

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeremy,

did you propery calibrate your new set? If so you need to give it time to break in. I ask because on my 48" HD EP II looks absolutely spectacular! Wait a couple of weeks of continuous use and calibration and look at that dvd again, you may change your mind.

EP II was the first dvd I popped in when I got my 16x9 and I wasn't initially happy with it either until my new set started to "come in" as they say.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree with John, as do most reviewers. I don't understand the backlash about this transfer looking bad...It looks fantastic on my 53" Panny.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Apologies Matt, I decided to change my post at the last minuet to something more useful, you submitted while I was still composing.

But yeah, I originally said that the transfer was one of the best out their IMO.

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
John, I wasn't aware there was a break-in period on these. Thanks! Maybe in a week or so, it'll look better. Don't worry about the continuous use! ;) I'm going back through all my old dvds and enjoying them all over again! I'm really starting to see which ones ARE reference and which aren't. Maybe Attack of the Clones will be a bit better after it "comes in".

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Why would HDTV look anything near as good as a mint 35mm print or even a 70mm print?

You don't need fancy digital cameras to make movies look better on DVD. Yes, despite what Lucasfilm and DVD reviewers say.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, in the case of Episode 1 an HD version WOULD look better as it hasn't been uprezzed for 35/70mm with the added grain those introduced

I thought every 35mm print I saw of Ep2 looked terrible, I would have rather they shoot Super35 than those cameras

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
You don't need fancy digital cameras to make movies look better on DVD. Yes, despite what Lucasfilm and DVD reviewers say.
maybe some dvd reviewers said this, but did lucasfilm actually say it looks BETTER? or did they just shoot the movie digitally and say it looks good, but not point out the differences? if they did actually say that, then i'll shut up, but i get sick of everyone bashing lucas just because he is lucas. i dont think his movies are particularly good, but they have a huge following, and people like to criticize the successful. 2 bil in the bank doesnt hurt either. i tend to liken it to people bashing microsoft. wait, make that "Micro$haft". anyway, aotc looks pretty good to me, but i dont have the equipment to call ANYTHING reference quality or not. fight club looks good, but on my 27" sony trinitron, i'll leave the word 'reference' out of my dvd transfer comments :)

CJ

greg_t

Screenwriter
Episode 2 looks fantastic on my Pioneer Elite 530 through the Pansasonic RP91. Some scenes are a little soft, others, like the Asteroid field, are just fantastic.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
THANK GOODNESS FOR THIS THREAD!!!

Yeah I read all the "reference quality" reviews and thought that maybe my eyes were deceiving me. Of course after the initial popping in of this disc I haven't watched it since, so I am working on memory. But yeah, on my ISF'd HDTV it sure doesn't look reference for all the reasons above: no grain but definitely softness/video noise. I think the worst instances are in the lighter scenes (in terms of color/white, not humor).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Lucasfilm basically said it looks just as good (umm, no) as 35mm while making their job 100x easier with the 7 trillion FX shots that need doing

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I hope they come out with a better transfer for the Archival Editions. I liked Episode 2 a lot more than Episode 1, and want a really good copy of it. It's really amazing how fast you go through your dvds and find out how many need new transfers when you get a bigger, widescreen tv. And, some dvds played better on my circa 1997 Panasonic A310 than on my new Panasonic S35 progressive scan. 6 short years and the price of players drops from $450 to $90. Gee whiz! I have been noticing that the picture is getting better the more I use it, though.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I consider AOTC to have exceptionally good picture quality, with a very high level of detail and no edge enhancement.

Some scenes have clearly been shot intentionally soft (filtered) but this picture looks great on my 92" screen.

Adam

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I didn't say it was references. I think there is a big difference between "not-reference" and "horrible." I think it looks better than most transfers I've seen, but as a frame of reference, I prefer LOTR FOTR:EE for it's more film like look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks