Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Recommendation on a Digital Camcorder or.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Webb

Michael Webb

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 09:54 AM

any other forums like this that specifically discuss digital camcorders. I'm one of those obsessive researchers before I buy anything, and I'm sure there's a forum out there discussing the best ones to buy and where, or at least someone on here who is a whiz at digital camcorders? Thanks in advance.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 10:41 AM

Some things to look for:

- a high pixel CCD: try not to go any lower than 680k

- the camera lets you record through its analog jacks (important!)

- if you need a firewire card you can get one bundled with Adobe Premiere for much cheaper than if you bought the software seperately.

I have a JVC and never had a problem with it, if anything it was Adobe Premiere 6.0 acting up. I'm sure 6.5 fixes many issues.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 03:36 PM

Check out the forums at http://www.dv.com. You have to jump through some hoops to sign up & their forum software is terrible, but there is plenty of good information.

You might also have a look at the DVinfo forums at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf. Good info there, too.

What kind of budget are you looking at for a camera? Any specific features you're after? Brand loyalties?

FWIW, I have a Canon OpturaPI & I love it.

cheers,
//km
If you don't believe that ninjas have REAL Ultimate Power you better get a life right now or they will chop your head off!!! It's an easy choice, if you ask me.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Webb

Michael Webb

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 10:50 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I really don't have a quote "brand" preference, I'm just hoping to find the model that "everyone" seems to love, kind of like the Harman Kardon receivers if you get my drift. I'd like to find one, or maybe they all have this, am just beginning, with digital photo capability, I really won't be filming TONS of stuff, put why not buy a camcorder and a digital camera all in one? I've just realized that taking pictures with regular 35mm camera when I'm trying to fly formation would be a lot more fun if I could just snap off a couple digital ones and pick from the best. Thanks for the help, and I'll let you know which I pick.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 01:09 AM

If you're doing formation flying, I'm not sure you want to be farting around with a digital camcorder to take still photos. You can get a much smaller digital still camera that you won't have to fumble around with. They'll also provide better resolution than the still image capabilities of the camcorder.

And I'd agree that one of the most important features to look for in a new camcorder is analog in/out. It's a requirement if you want to easily transfer from analog sources (VHS, 8mm, etc) into digital.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Webb

Michael Webb

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:44 AM

After a bit of research, I've come to the conclusion a digital camcorder is not for me, but a good digital camera IS. My price range, I can probably affor anything less than $1000, but honestly, I think I'd like one around $500 or less, and preferrably one I can get at Best Buy, unless it's extremely cheaper on the net. Size isn't a matter, just want something that takes nice, crisp, photos, and a good ZOOM is important, most of my pictures will be aviation related, in-flight, airshows, etc, so a good zoom in a necessity. And then again, the occasional picture of naked hookers might come in also. Any recommendations, for cameras I mean?! I've been eyeing the Canon Powershot G2, or something very comparable with it, and in that approximate price range, how is it?