What's new

Sleeping Beauty 2-Disc SE cover art and specs (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member

This one sounds loaded...I just posted the specs and larger cover art at www.UltimateDisney.com

-"Once Upon A Dream: The Making Of SLEEPING BEAUTY"
-SLEEPING BEAUTY 3-D Virtual Galleries
-Story Reel: "The Capture Of The Prince" -- View The Original Story Sequence In Which
-Maleficent Captures Prince Phillip
-Story Reel: "The Fairies Put The Castle To Sleep" -- View The Original Story Sequence In Which Flora, Fauna, And Merryweather Put Everyone In The Castle To Sleep.
-Widescreen-to-Fullscreen Comparison
-The Design -- Film Historian Leonard Maltin, Original SLEEPING BEAUTY Artists Eyvind Earle And Ollie Johnston, And POCAHONTAS Co-Director Eric Goldberg Share Their Thoughts On
-The Design Of The Film.
-Creating The Backgrounds
-Helene Stanley Dance Reference -- Live Action Reference Footage Featuring Helene Stanley Dancing As Princess Aurora While Disney Animators Sketch Her.
-Live Action Reference Of Prince Phillip
-The Music
-Original Trailers
-The Restoration -- A Highly Sophisticated Computer-Aided Restoration Of The Film Was Undertaken In 1998, Which Involved Meticulously Restoring 118,000 Frames Of Film.
-"The Peter Tchaikovsky Story" -- Originally Broadcast On The 1959 "Disneyland" TV Show
-"Grand Canyon" Film Short
-Four Artists Paint One Tree -- Walt DIsney Hosts This Special Look At The Techniques Used By Four Of The Artists Who Worked On SLEEPING BEAUTY.
-Rescue Aurora Set-Top Adventure Game
-SLEEPING BEAUTY Ink And Paint Game

Release Date: September 9

:)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
What's left out of the overseas 2-disc editions? And huge thumbs-up to Disney for that widescreen/pan-and-scan comparison!

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Personally, I am ecstatic over this news! I was hoping that they didn't truncate it to a one disc set. The features sound awesome!!!!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I had the r2 Sleeping Beauty in my hands this morning and was not sure about getting this.

Looks like I was right and will get this instead

:emoji_thumbsup:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Luke, you have a typo in your link (an extra '.')

I hope I'm just being paranoid, but what is the aspect ratio? You don't mention it.

I see the widescreen to fullscreen comparison, but for all I know it's Disney showing how much better pan & scan is. :)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I hope I'm just being paranoid, but what is the aspect ratio? You don't mention it.
Disney doesn't actually mention it. I'd have to imagine if they're doing the Widescreen-Fullscreen comparison, it WILL be widescreen, but there was the UK one-disc travesty, so I'll hold off jumping to conclusions.

Thanks for the correction.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Okay so no need to buy the region 1 copy, same specs as my region 2, if there had been more featurettes and a commentary than I would have happily bought it again. One of my favorite Disneys with fantastic widescreen picture and sound.
The half-hour Grand Canyon short was interesting, its in 5.1 stereo and 2.35 OAR, why its in the package I dunno, oh wait it was on the same program with Sleeping Beauty in its original 1959 cinema release, thats the only connection.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Luke: Is that original artwork? Went to your site to see the large cover pic. It just doesn't look like Aurora and the prince to me. But, maybe its just been awhile since I've seen the film.
EDIT: here's what I think of for Aurora and Prince Philip:

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Is this a direct digital transfer? I've noticed that a lot of Disney's catalog animated titles are getting the short end of the stick as did Hunchback of Notre Dame with a less than stellar transfer from very grainy negatives instead of from the CAPS files.

Dan

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
...... NNNNOOOOOO! I want the purple French cover! It is so awesome! I am sure that most everyone is envious of the releases that R1 gets vs the rest of the world, but R1 gets the WORST end of the box art in most cases.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah...

The more I look at it, the more the cover looks pretty bad to me.

But not all that different from the R2 cover.

R1 R2

Almost looks like it could be a **choke** GoodTimes release! ;)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
It certainly doesn't do justice to the artistic look of the film! I'm just glad we're getting it in R1 and a 2-Disc set. The widescreen section/s of the supplements will be good for the American 'family' audiences that Disney seems to take for idiots.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I vote for the R2 cover-cleaner look, deeper colors.
Can someone link to, or post the French cover?
Many Disney covers get the 'stylized' treatment-
here, Aurora looks a bit more of a "tart" as opposed to the sweet
wholesome girl in the film...

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, the French cover is cooler.

But "Grand Canyon" on it -- all right! That won the Oscar for Best Live Action Short in 1958.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Is this a direct digital transfer? I've noticed that a lot of Disney's catalog animated titles are getting the short end of the stick as did Hunchback of Notre Dame with a less than stellar transfer from very grainy negatives instead of from the CAPS files.
Uhh...CAPS wasn't even invented until the 1980s. Some form of film to digital tape transfer will be involved whether it is from digital scans done for the restoration a la Snow White or from a new digital transfer of a restored film element. I thought Hunchback looked fine, BTW. Pocahontas is another story, though.

Regards,

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote: "The widescreen section/s of the supplements will be good for the American 'family' audiences that Disney seems to take for idiots."

---

Maybe. But if this is what it seems like to me, that section (along with most or all of the extras) was also included in the LD box set of the same title a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks