-

Photo

What Type Of Front Projection Screen Do You Have

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Tom J C

Tom J C

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 06:54 AM

pros, cons.
tks

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 07:00 AM

DIY Posted Image

96" diagonal 16x9 silver-gray screen. PROS - the price which was cdn$150, nice black level. CONS - Firehawk looks spiffier but for $2000 it had better. Here are the final details...

I finally finished my DIY screen. It is a 96” diagonal, 16x9 screen with 2.5” bordering all around. The screen material is somewhat similar in colour to what is used on the Stewart Firehawk with a gain >1.0 and <1.5. I had tried various Behr gray and silver paints but did not achieve the success that my final paint selection did. My main concerns were to boost black levels for the image projected by my LCD projector (Sony 11HT), provide protection from off axis ambient light, and not “colour” the image. It is not a shade of gray really but more metallic looking. There were other types of aluminium paint but the others I tried all had higher degrees of sheen to the surface making the screen shiny and thus reflecting more light including ambient light. I had taken a close look at the Firehawk samples before beginning my search for suitable paints. I was not able to find any combination of "regular" paints to do this job. The final screen paint would have to include a metallic paint as part of the solution.

I used a sheet of 49” x 84.5" sheet of formica for the screen surface which I spray painted with “Tremco – Tremclad High Heat Enamel - Aluminium”. This paint when dried, provided a nice matte silver/gray surface. I used 3 cans to provide 5 even coats over the screen. For the border material, I used “slot board” which is available in 4x8ft sheets, and sliced 3” lengths off. The slot/groove in each length of board is what holds the screen in place. I painted the borders flat black with Tremco flat black spray paint. NOTE that the slotted border overlaps the formica screen by 1/2" on all sides so the final screen size is 48" x 83.5".

I could not be happier with the results. The total cost for the project was about cdn$130 including excess wood that was not even needed. The screen is 25 pounds heavy. Since the border is securing the actual screen surface, all I had to do was screw the borders into the studposts using 2" phillips flathead screws and those little circular things that aflt head screws fit into that look like a small doughnut (forgot the name).

The first things I noticed about the projected image were the following… Whites appeared slightly brighter as compared to the image projected onto the wall, hence my estimate of gain between 1.0 and 1.5. Colours appeared deeper as well. Also, I could turn on the lights in the room and the image would not wash out as much as it would prior to having the screen and using a white wall instead.

Here are some photos. Sorry about the PQ of the screenshot. I lost some photography equipment but will get a better shot as soon as I can.

The Paints
Screen Closeup
Screen
Screen Shot
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ