What's new

What's the attraction with Schnappes? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I can't see the attraction at all with it, though quite a few people I've talked to like it. I cannot stand the smell or taste of it, and while I'm drunk it's even worse to me. Definitely not something I enjoy drinking.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
IMO, the only use for Schnapps is when mixing into drinks. Even then, it shouldn't be the only source of alcohol in said drink. Never drink it straight.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
There's different kinds of schnapps. They are all loaded with sugar which is what probably makes them so popular. Sugar is what also gives a nasty hangover if you drink enough of the stuff. You have Fruity schnapps: Peach, strawberry, apple, for example. These guys are usually low in alcohol content, about 20% to 25%. Then you have your mint type schnapps: Peppermint, spearmint, mentholmint, cinnamon etc. Most of these are around the same alcohol content as the fruit variety, but this family has some stiffys that shoot up to 50% alcohol (100 proof) and beyond.

I like a nice chilled Rumple Minze (100 proof peppermint) in the winter while skiing. Not too much though, as I said sugar = hangover. You can drop a little in some hot chocolate for a peppermint-patty effect too.

Ralph

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Peppermint Schnapps + Hot cocoa = yummy!

I can't stand any other type of schnapps though, unless mixed very well.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Sometimes doing a nice shot of a sour apple is great....doesn't burn going down, makes you pucker (thus the brand name). Definitely not something you are going to throw down with reckless abandon though. Nice to experiment with different flavors and mixes, see what works for you.

Chris

David-S

Second Unit
Yeah, goldschlager is basically a cinnamon schnapps w/ flakes of gold in it... (hey man, i know a way to get rich!!:D)

on a side note, i still (3 years later) can't stand the taste of cinnamon by itself.... :frowning:

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Peppermint Schnappes after a big meal really settles the stomach. I always have a glass or two after Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Peppermint Schnapps and hot chocolate is VERY good, had it up in Beaver Creek Colorado 10 years ago and was like wow, this is good. Haven't had it since. *Shrug* I have wanted to buy some and put in some coffee but haven't gotten around to do it.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

Shane you're kidding right? :D

We used Chartreuse for the big penalties during our drinking games. We always called it "bile".

I'm a Sambuca man myself. Being part an Italian family and marrying into another one, the Sambuca is always flowing. It's another bad hangover too.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
Shane you're kidding right?
Actually Ralph I am not. I do enjoy chartreuse. I had actually had about 6 shots of it when I made that last post.

Make sure that you are drinking it chilled. If you ever get the chance to try some of the millenium edition do it, it's so very smooth. However it is about $100cdn a bottle compared to $22cdn for the regular stuff.

oh yeah and Green over Yellow all the time.

check out this link. It is my local pubs web page that as a page of me doing a quad quad on the Friday night of August long weekend. Bo Diddly's

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

Shane,

THAT'S BEAUTIFUL! God bless ya!

I appreciate the info on the Millenium batch, but I'll stick to my scotch, bourbon, gin, vodka, rum, beer, sambuca, schnapps and pretty much everything else that isn't Chartreuse! :D

Cheers!

Ralph

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Dear Lord, props to Shane. Are you sure you are 100% human?!?

I can drink when I want, but that is off the hook...

StephenA

Screenwriter
Maybe I should give Schnappes a try again sometime. There's so many different types of drinks I have yet to try.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
Thanks guys!

That was only the start of the drinking that weekend. I also consumed a bottle of chartreuse at 6a.m. 2 days later and again the next day. I will top that this summer though. I do have a little advantage in drinking though I am a lot bigger than 99% of people at 7'1" 350lb.

off topic the new Motorola V66(cell phone)is available in Chartreuse green. Must get me one of them.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

Yeah but your taste buds are still the same size as everyone elses! :D

I don't know how you get the stuff down. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks