Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Minneapolis / Twin Cities OTA Question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   LonnieF

LonnieF

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 05:09 AM

OK, newbie here so go gentle on me. I am ready to make the leap to a big screen HDTV and I was wondering if anyone in this forum could answer a couple of questions I have in regard to the Twin Cities HDTV market.

1. I currently have DirecTV and I am wondering if I should convert to Time Warner cable so I could rent a setup box rather then purchasing one for my satellite system ?

2. Time Warner broadcasts WCCO in HDTV. How is that different in quality to the OTA broadcast?

3.What is the quality in general for the Twin Cities market for OTA HDTV signal/picture quality ?

4.Are the local OTA HDTV broadcasts in 16:9 or 4:3 ?

5. Are the satelite / cable HDTV signals broadcast in 16:9 or 4:3 ( example HBOHD, HDNet,DiscoveryHD, etc.)

I am sure I will have more questions as I move forward but I will stop with these. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted Image

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,210 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 25 2003 - 07:31 AM

1. That depends. Here in Memphis TW does not carry locals yet. I tried their digital cable once and hated it. I have a DirecTivo now and will be getting the HD DirecTivo when it comes out. I can't watch TV without my Tivo.

2. It should be the same quality.

3. I don't know personally but here's a link for you.

4. True HDTV is 16x9. Sometimes stations will take a 4x3 picture and put side bars, stretch or zoom it. It depends on the station.

5. Showtime HD shows a lot of movies in OAR and some of their original programming in 16x9. Other shows have side bars. HBO HD shows a few movies in OAR but most that aren't 16x9 are cropped to 16x9. Some original programming like The Sopranos and Six Feet Under is in 16x9. Other programming is side barred. HD Net is 16x9 all the times I've watched it. Discovery HD is 16x9 all the time from what I've read but I've never seen it since it isn't available on DirecTV.

-Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users