What's new

B4-Plus finally arrived!! Very cool (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
************************************************** ************************************************** *********UPDATE!! SCROLL DOWN FOR PICS!!! ************************************************** ************************************************** ******

Well, finally, after weeks of waiting, SVS and I finally got the right color nailed down and I got the sub. Jesus that was a grueling wait time. All my fault tho, I didnt like the first color SVS came up with, so I decided to go a completely different color. Interestingly enough I was trying to get the deep red color of the B&W speakers, and instead, got the orangy color of my Rockets. HA! My B4+ and my Rockets almost match perfectly. I will have pictures up later! :)

Anyway, I almost dont even know what to do with this sub. My wife is a frickin wuss and thinks the house is gonna fall apart. The first bass that kicked in with a THX logo intro, scared the shit out of her. She jumped a good couple inches off the couch. You had to be there I guess. Unfortunately, the room where my HT is has many windows. The rattle really sucks. We also have a fireplace insert that rattles. Guess I am gonna have to start hunting down and squashing the rattles as best I can.

I only got the sub hooked up later yesterday, so really no time to test or calibrate it yet. What do you other B4 owners have the ports blocked to? I assumed the port blockers to tune the sub came automatically. Guess I have to ask Tom or Ron about that. Also, I am gonna have to start thinking about a Crown k2. The QSC amps fans are a bit loud. Not that you hear them when the thing is going. I guess I will have to see if I can live with it. Also, where should the gain be set to? I have the RM2450 2500 watts bridged. I think Brian has the QSC. Brian, where is your gain set to? Should I calibrate by leaving gain low, and upping the DB's through the AVM-20? Or leave the AVM-20 set to 0, and calibrate by adjusting the gain on the amp?

Anyway, I will get more impressions up later and also some pics. I am working on getting a ground loop isolator. I am getting tired of unplugging the cable when I want to watch a movie. :)

ErichH

Screenwriter
Guess you won't have a need for a massage therapist any more(if you ever did).
Just turn up your B4 and let it loosen all those tight muscles.
You can compete with jet overflights as well!
Eric

BrianKR

Second Unit
I think Brian has the QSC. Brian, where is your gain set to? Should I calibrate by leaving gain low, and upping the DB's through the AVM-20?
Hi Adam,

I had (I haven't used the B4+ in quite a while. I am building a HT room and it's just collecting dust for now :frowning: )my gain set 2/3rds of the way up when I calibrated the B4+.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Brian,

I'm building an HT in my basement right now and am considering the B4+. Hey, i hear everyone in York rides a Harley ? True ? ;)

BrianKR

Second Unit
Brian,
I'm building an HT in my basement right now and am considering the B4+. Hey, i hear everyone in York rides a Harley ? True ? ;)
I think it's a law that you have to own no less than one Harley and one 4x4 pick up. I live 4 miles from the Harley plant. There is a 2 yr waiting list to purchase one. I am still waiting on mine.:emoji_thumbsup:

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Not to get off topic, but a two year waiting list? Wow. My father recently got into Harleys and he picked up a 2002 Springer Softtail and later purchased a 100th Anniversary V-Rod. He got lucky because the exact Springer model he wanted was in stock at Corning, NY!

My goodness does that things smoke!! :eek:

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
As far as the upgrade question is concerned... I upgraded from nothing. I have never owned a HT sub until now. Never had equipment worth a shit to warrant one, IMO.

Notice the rear Rocket bookshelves are standing on my old Cerwin Vegas that were my main speakers. In one pic you can see the kick ass Bello stands I bought for them. I had no idea the Rocket bookshelves would be so massive. The stands are not even close to stable with those monsters. Sucks too, I just bought those Bello stands! :frowning: I am gonna have to get big columns or something for the rear Rockets.

Here are a shitload of pics for you guys. Some are redundant. Usually flash and non flash.

Can anyone else tell me if their sub has that crackle on it? Look at the closeup pic. The rear sub doenst have near as much. It looks like scratches... but close up it looks like a clearcoat crackle. Is it supposed to look like that? Tom?

Keith Shaw

Agent
The B4 driver problem looks pretty similar to what happened to the early Stryke AV12's. I bet they'll replace it with a more cosmetically perfect driver if you ask.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Keith's right. TC Sounds builds drivers for both SVS and Stryke. So I imagine they have the same issues as Stryke.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Adam - Looks like you've got the audio going quite nice.
I power my Ultra with a Crown K1 and I never turn it off(sleep circuit) and of course it doesn't make a sound/ never gets very hot. A K2 is probably a good idea.

Darn good looking Room Full O' Speakers. Almost overpowers your Sony.
I use my 200 under the screen and love it that way.

Eric

Chip E

Screenwriter
The audio side is absolutely KILLER looking... Great job.. I agree about the TV though.. A nice 53" or 58" Pioneer Elite 16:9 HDTV would be great :emoji_thumbsup: Oh that's right, you didn't ask me to spend any money for ya! Lol..just play'n around, looks really good, enjoy.

Adam, i don't like the way the driver looks either. It looks as though someone took a wire brush to it, don't it ? Personally, i'd want speaker grills.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Yeah, I pretty much despise RPTV's. Dont like them at all. A DLP might have been nice, but, I didnt have an extra $2000 to spend on the big DLP. Besides, I think this killer 40" Sony is plenty big for regular TV watching. Its a tad small for movies, but, It replaced a 27 inch JVC, so to me, its a huge improvement anyway. Besides, I plan on getting a Front Projector ASAP anyway. 40 sony for TV, FP for movies (hopefully within the year). It seems like a perfect combo for me.

Plus, my sound is just super killer now. I am so happy with my choices of speakers and sub. Man, you should hear this sub in Neo 6 with the speakers set to small, and playing like Westside Connection or some of these rap CD's with good bass that I actually held onto. The bass is frickin clean and oh so powerful. I am literally in danger of shattering the windows I think!! :) I need to go get one of them DJ magic mike Bass cd's so I can demo the music bass side of things for people when they come over. And so far I have amassed like 6 DTS and THX demo cd's too!! :)

Cam S

Screenwriter
Nutz, absolutely nutz. That is one AMAZING looking sub, but I agree, the subs look funny with that defect in the clear coat. I'm kind of surprised they sent it to you with the subs in that condition considering all the talk that has been going on about it.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Adam,

Are you using the box speakers the Rocket bookshelf speakers sitting on simply as stands or are they also wired?

Congrats on your system--looks outstanding. Must be fun. :)

Chip E

Screenwriter

Defect in the clearcoat ????? I thought the talk was about the way the driver looked ?

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Adam...lets here about some movies...how is it performing?? we need info!!:) thanks BTW! tom

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys,

Glad to hear the B4+ is performing ok for you Adam. Per the driver clear coat problem, we certainly would NOT have shipped it looking like that :) The finish you choose really matches up well with your speakers though...that is amazingly close!

The *spider webs* may have been caused by a sudden temp shift in shipping, I'm not sure. In any case, I'll be working the phones with Thilo (at TC Sounds) to solve this mystery immediately.

Tom V.
SVS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks