What's new

Austin---any good deals out there? (1 Viewer)

David Walker

Agent
Fellow Austinites,

Anyone had much luck on finding good audio equipment (any type) at local flea markets, goodwill, or the salvation army?

I've looked in several pawn shops, but have yet to venture to other cheap alternatives...

My budget is a little pressed (okay, a lot pressed), but my passion for good sound remains...gotta find a happy medium here!

Dave

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Have you gone into Circle Stereo to see what used equipment is presently in stock? As for the others I hear the stories of great finds at garage sales and charity stores but that takes continuous monitoring to get "the find." The Settlement Home's big sale is probably the best bet, except knowledgeable buyers are there at opening to snap up the great buys.

If you are willing to shop pawns(I hate to buy stolen stuff or thing from people really down and out) remember that those prices have lots of room for negotiations.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
David,

Other than Circle stereo and tehn just happening to get lucky, I think your best bet would be to monitor Ebay for some vintage speakers.

I went to the salvation army on S. Congress about a month ago and they had a bunch of old box speakers with spring clips from the likes of Pioneer or other not so hot vintage find brands.

I have heard some 60's 70's vintage Marantz speakers and thought the sound was great especially considering the placement the guy had them in. These could be some sweet speakers to find for a tight budget.

Also some old horn speakers from JBL Advent etc. would be a good options because then you could match them up with some inexpensive vintage tube amp or DIY amp.

Just some thoughts, glad you could make the local meet ove rthe weekend.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I'm not in Austin anymore. But, last year or so Circle Stereo had a repair shop in the office park at Guadelupe and Koening. Are they not in the phone book? Maybe under repair they don't sell any new equipment. Hope he didn't retire. He's been around Austin since I was in grade school over 25 years ago. If he's in Drippin' that makes since. That was my last place in the Austin area. Lots of us old timers out that way trying to find a little bit of the old Austin there.

The Settlement Home is funded largely thru a huge garage sale that is one weekend a year down at Palmer or City Coliseum. It is a favorite charity of Austin's "old money" is has some merchandise that reflects that.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Anyone had much luck on finding good audio equipment (any type) at local flea markets, goodwill, or the salvation army?
I have not frequented the places you mention. The place I sometimes go in search of a bargain is Audio Systems. They sell items on consignment...and once in a while there is a good deal to be had. I bought an NAD C-340 for half price a couple of years ago. It was in excellent condition. You might want to bookmark this site: www.audiosystems.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks