Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Breakout Cable Confusion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   MikeSno

MikeSno

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 03:10 PM

I am going to use my existing RCA DTC 100 Set top box with a new Mitsubishi High Def 48 inch wide screen. The set top box puts out a VGA connection. I was going to purchase a Component VGA breakout cable - For DVDO iscan. Then I read the warning This cable will not convert an RGB/VGA output signal into component video. This totally confused me. This cable looked like it would work but obviously would not. Can anyone recemmend the breakout cable that I need. And where I can get the best quality for the money.

Thanks
Mike

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   TimG

TimG

Second Unit

• 361 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 02:18 AM

Mike, welcome to the forum. Check and see if your tv will accept a 5-wire hook-up (RGBHV). If it will, all you need is a breakout cable that has a vga on one end and a 5 wire (RGBHV) on the other. This will keep you from having to spend the money on a transcoder that changes format from vga to component. See this thread, do you have the same tv?
http://www.hometheat....hreadid=132207

TimG
"Life is too short to drink cheap beer!"

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Mary M S

Mary M S

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 04:32 AM

http://www.keohi.com....ranscoder.html

This should get you on the road. And give you the source locations for each product.
I had to use the RCA VHDC300 myself between the DTC100 and my Sony LCD.

Got rid of the pesky transcoder when I upgraded the DTC to a the Sony HD200 (for a short while) and was able to use my DVI connections. However the Sony STB had to go back due to 'freeze' glitches. I’m in a holding pattern back to using my DTC100 until the new boxes are more reliable.

Hope this helps. No one seem to have figured it out and I could not get any help with this (even at AVS) when this first came up for me.

You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   MikeSno

MikeSno

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 12:38 AM

Thanks everyone,
I went ahead and ordered the Audio Authority transcoder. There goes another $109.00. The transcoder comes with a VGA Cable (which I dont need at all because I have a heavy duty one that came with my previous monitor. So I had to purchase a decent set of component cables (another $49.00) I probably should have spent the money towards another Set Top Box! Im still waiting delivery on the new Set so I dont know how well everything is going to work.

I cant believe all the trouble I have gone thru in the last 2 years to continue to get HDTV. Well worth It of course.

Mike