What's new

Breakout Cable Confusion (1 Viewer)

MikeSno

Grip
I am going to use my existing RCA DTC 100 Set top box with a new Mitsubishi High Def 48 inch wide screen. The set top box puts out a VGA connection. I was going to purchase a Component VGA breakout cable - For DVDO iscan. Then I read the warning This cable will not convert an RGB/VGA output signal into component video. This totally confused me. This cable looked like it would work but obviously would not. Can anyone recemmend the breakout cable that I need. And where I can get the best quality for the money.

Thanks
Mike

TimG

Second Unit
Mike, welcome to the forum. Check and see if your tv will accept a 5-wire hook-up (RGBHV). If it will, all you need is a breakout cable that has a vga on one end and a 5 wire (RGBHV) on the other. This will keep you from having to spend the money on a transcoder that changes format from vga to component. See this thread, do you have the same tv?
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=132207

TimG

Mary M S

Screenwriter
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/inter...ranscoder.html

This should get you on the road. And give you the source locations for each product.
I had to use the RCA VHDC300 myself between the DTC100 and my Sony LCD.

Got rid of the pesky transcoder when I upgraded the DTC to a the Sony HD200 (for a short while) and was able to use my DVI connections. However the Sony STB had to go back due to 'freeze' glitches. I’m in a holding pattern back to using my DTC100 until the new boxes are more reliable.

Hope this helps. No one seem to have figured it out and I could not get any help with this (even at AVS) when this first came up for me.

MikeSno

Grip
Thanks everyone,
I went ahead and ordered the Audio Authority transcoder. There goes another $109.00. The transcoder comes with a VGA Cable (which I dont need at all because I have a heavy duty one that came with my previous monitor. So I had to purchase a decent set of component cables (another $49.00) I probably should have spent the money towards another Set Top Box! Im still waiting delivery on the new Set so I dont know how well everything is going to work.

I cant believe all the trouble I have gone thru in the last 2 years to continue to get HDTV. Well worth It of course.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.