-

Photo

Law & Order: SVU premiere, Law & Order: CI premier, Monk premier all in June!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#21 of 37 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 01:09 PM

Here's the Monk cover:
Posted Image

We now know what the "incredible special features" are for SVU. In addition to the L&O:SVU premiere episode "Payback" (9/20/99), you will also get:
• The Original Series Premiere of Law & Order: "Everybody's
Favorite Bagman"
• Law & Order Featurette
• Special Victims Unit: "The Beginning"
• Dan Florek squad room walk-through
• Cast & crew bios
• Script guide premiere episode

We also now know what the "incredible special features" are for CI. In addition to the L&O:CI premiere episode "One" (9/30/01), you will also get:
• The Original Series Premiere of Law & Order: "Everybody's
Favorite Bagman"
• Law & Order Featurette
• Criminal Intent: "The Beginning"
• Cast & crew bios
• Script guide premiere episode

Do those two supplements list sound pretty close to each other? No accident...except for the Dan Florek walk-through on SVU, they're identical! Posted Image

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#22 of 37 OFFLINE   Colin-H

Colin-H

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 05:12 PM

This is such bad news. I have been waiting and waiting for them to announce the second year L&O set.
"At least Kurosawa doesn't give his samurai hairstyles that make them look like drug dealers from some intergalactic trailer park, as Mr. Lucas did with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker."

DVD List | 2003 film list

#23 of 37 OFFLINE   John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted March 31 2003 - 02:52 AM

So, let's see if I understand this correctly. If we don't buy the individual episodes of these series then Universal will think there is no interest in them and not release anything else. If we do buy them Universal will figure they can release single episodes and/or "best of" sets. So those wanting complete seasons are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Jeeze.

I'll probably get Monk since I can justify buying what amounts to a movie. But the truth is I will only buy the L&O episodes in season sets. No freakin' way am I paying $14-$20 for single episodes. Since I already have L&O Season 1, I don't need 2 more copies of the pilot episode. For every wonderful thing that transpires with DVD, there's always another bone-headed decision waiting around the corner.Posted Image
"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#24 of 37 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
For every wonderful thing that transpires with DVD, there's always another bone-headed decision waiting around the corner.

That's about right.

DAVE/Memphis, TN

#25 of 37 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 31 2003 - 09:28 AM

Quote:
If we do buy them Universal will figure they can release single episodes and/or "best of" sets.

Not necessarily. The release of just the pilots could simply be Universal's way of "testing the waters" for interest in the shows "on the cheap." Warner Bros. did essentially the same thing with Babylon 5 - releasing two TV movies, and following up with the first season once they saw the sales figures. Universal may just not have as much confidence in the two spin-off L&O series as it did in the original, or in the half-season Monk.

Regards,

Joe

#26 of 37 OFFLINE   jonathan_little

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 10:24 AM

I just might buy the "Monk" DVD if it's in the $5.88 bin at Wal-Mart. Posted Image

But for $20?! Posted Image

#27 of 37 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 10:26 AM

"Monk", what the hell's "Monk"?

Not related to "Monkfish" is he ? Posted Image
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#28 of 37 OFFLINE   Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 08:58 AM

Monk hasn't made it to the UK...yet. Keep checking the TV listings. It'll probably be on between 2 - 4 A.M on Channel4.(just kiddin')

I see that the L & O discs are to be full screen. Oh well one more reason not to buy them.

#29 of 37 OFFLINE   Colin-H

Colin-H

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 11:05 AM

Were those pilots shot in HD?
"At least Kurosawa doesn't give his samurai hairstyles that make them look like drug dealers from some intergalactic trailer park, as Mr. Lucas did with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker."

DVD List | 2003 film list

#30 of 37 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 12:14 PM

Or even framed for 16:9? It doesn't seem like a very Dick Wolf-ish thing to do; all three L&O series have always looked very much framed for 4:3.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#31 of 37 OFFLINE   LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted April 12 2003 - 07:51 PM

Everyone SHOULD buy ALL 3 of these so as to ensure full season boxsets or any further releases at all. They're obviously testing the market. I don't care much for the original L&O or SVU, but I gotta get CI and Monk for sure.
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

#32 of 37 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 13 2003 - 12:42 AM

Both the L&O discs are 4x3 for sure, whether that's OAR or MAR or it's a Duo-AR item like CSI.

More and more word is leaking out from Universal that all season sets of TV shows are on hold pending a possible resolution to the financial difficulties of their owner, Vivendi. I'm not gonna discuss the details yet, so don't bother to ask.

DAVE/Memphis, TN

#33 of 37 OFFLINE   Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron

Second Unit

• 255 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 12:40 AM

Is this the same Vivendi that Apple Computer is rumoured to be looking to buy? That already has huge implications for downloadable music; hopefully it would mean these individual series will continue to get season box sets!

#34 of 37 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 01:21 AM

Apple are only interested in buying the Music subsiduary of Vivendi Universal.

Vivendi is a huge company with lots of interests, from music, films and computer games to water supplies, mobile and landline telephone service provision, European television stations and pay-per-view and internet provision and e-companies.

The company is looking to sell of it's American assets (in effect the Universal of Vivendi Universal) either as a single sale or in smaller part sales, and keeping it's European telecoms and television businesses (it is already in the process of selling it's Water companies, ironic as this is how the company started).

See the following for more information:

Media mogul quits Vivendi

Vivendi posts new record loss

Investigators raid Vivendi offices

Markets applaud Vivendi divorce

#35 of 37 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 01:41 AM

Yes, interesting stuff in those articles:

Despite a thorough-going programme of selling off assets in 2002, Vivendi still owed its creditors about 12.3bn euros at the end of 2002.

But that figure is less than a third the 37.1bn of debt it was carrying a year earlier.

Selling Universal - possibly to US giant Viacom, whose senior executives Mr Fourtou said he has already met - whether as a single block or through partial disposals, would please investors keen to see the company back on an even keel.

Other suitors include MGM and NBC, although one contender, former oil tycoon Marvin Morris, has threatened to withdraw his $20m bid unless he is promised exclusive talks.

DAVE/Memphis, TN

#36 of 37 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 01:46 AM

Yeah, well it's still nothing compared to AOL-Time Warner Posted Image

I can't see MGM buying... aren't they supposed to be almost up for sale themselves?

#37 of 37 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted April 14 2003 - 09:51 AM

Viacom already owns Paramount, no? Somewhere, Sjut Jhally is spinning in his grave. Oh, wait, he's still alive.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

Forum Nav Content I Follow