-

Photo

DirecTV HD Dilemma - help please!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 04:36 AM

Okay, here's my problem...at our current home, I have a standard DirecTV dish and Sony satelltite receiver set up. However, come Thursday, we will be moving into a new home that will have three TVs total; a Hitachi HD-ready RPTV and two analog TVs. For the new house, I want to continue to use DirecTV, but I want to be able to receive HDTV material on the Hitachi. If I get the HD DirecTV package, will we still be able to view regular (non-HD) material when watching the analog TVs? Also, would my older standard DirecTV equipment become obsolete? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#2 of 3 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 04:43 AM

Well, it depends what you want to do. With a seprate box on each set, you are good to go.

To start with you will obviously need a new HD capable sat box, and an oval dish with the triple LNBs (If you already have a dual LNB oval, I think you can add the 3rd LNB to that dish).

Those dishes will likely have a built in 3 x 4 multiswicth (at least mine did). You can connect each DTV box that you have (up to 4) direct to the switch.

I went through a similar install a few months back, although I do not yet have the HD set top box. I do have the correct dish though, and currently run 3 DTV boxes off that oval dish.

I am a Tivo guy, and since Tivo does not play nice with HD, I am waiting for the HD Tivo's to come out to go HD satellite. I do have an OTA HD tuner for use with my Pioneer WS HD capable display though, and all I can say is WOW. Can't wait for HD satellite.

BGL

#3 of 3 Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 02:54 PM

Quote:
To start with you will obviously need a new HD capable sat box, and an oval dish with the triple LNBs (If you already have a dual LNB oval, I think you can add the 3rd LNB to that dish).

The 3rd one is only for Showtime HD.
If you have subscribe to ST they will send you the 3rd lnb for $8 if you do it yourself; it's not that hard.
Something like $200 if you want them to install it.
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer