Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVD copying question (for non-copyrighted and data DVDs)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 02:09 AM

With a DVD burner, is it possible to copy data and non-protected/non-copyrighted DVDs “on the fly” if a separate DVD-ROM is added to a system, or must the info/image be transferred to the hard drive then burned to a DVD? I’d like to be able to just pop a data DVD into a DVD-ROM drive, a blank DVD into my burner, and let my software handle the copying without having to swap discs. If this can be done, I’ll add a DVD-ROM drive to my system. Thanks for any input.
Rob

#2 of 5 DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 02:19 AM

Although I haven't done it, I can't imagine that it'd be done any differently than a regular CD-ROM.

On my Mac, I can use Toast with my SuperDrive to duplicate DVD-ROMs.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#3 of 5 Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 11:27 AM

I'm pretty sure that Nero can copy a DVD (data or totally unprotected video such as a DVD-R you've burned yourself) drive-to-drive on the fly.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#4 of 5 Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 01:43 PM

Thanks guys, that seems to make sense. I'll give it a shot as DVD-ROM drives can be found for fairly reasonable prices, and if it doesn't work, I'll just give my dad a gift for his computer.Posted Image
Rob

#5 of 5 Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 04:13 PM

Hey again, just wanted to close the loop on my original question.

I got my DVD-ROM today, and found that I could indeed copy a DVD that I made earlier to another DVD "on the fly" (drive to drive). I used DVD+RW discs for both my source and destination discs, and it looks like it took the same amount of time to copy the disc this way as it did to burn the image from my hard drive previously (about 20 mins for a 3GB project I authored).
Rob