Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Six Feet Under - 3/23/03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,884 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 02:00 AM

Nate was bouncing back and forth in dream land with his talk with his dad.

David sobbing in Keith's arms seemed like a real genuine moment.

Ruth had to have something slipped in her drink by Bettina. Posted Image Ruth was flying high as a kite.

What was with that scary Oedipus-allusion for Nate seeing Ruth's face in his dreams while hearing his daughter's babbling. That was a big disturbing, but funny. But there's something to that scene in how he sees his new family unit.

Nate is fighting his nature (and whether he is his dad in terms of circumstances and predicament).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 02:35 AM

I found this episode to be extremely boring this week. Beyond Nate with his fears of marrying his mother, and Rico learning about homosexuals, it just moved way to slow for me. I guess they are trying to take the Claire art thing somewhere, but in the process it is boring and annoying.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 03:25 AM

When this season of 6FU started to get bashed I chalked it up to the rampant "its cool to hate HBO shows" attitude that has come up since the less than stellar Sopranos season.

But man, this season is really not doing much, and the stuff it is doing isn't very interesting.

It seems like Rico is always the bad guy against Nate and David - and by the end of the episode something happens to Rico that shows the viewer (through action or Rico's facial expression) that Rico has learned something - only to be reset next week to go through the same motions again.

The David stuff this week was also pretty weak, the only interesting part was his 30 seconds of crying at the end.

The Ruth story was kind of interesting, but that stuff with her calling her friend last week and how she acts around her friend is still looming and covering all of Ruths story in a weirdness cloud.

And the Claire "Russle's gay" angle was also lame. The camera's been on his intense staring at Claire since the first episode this season. I think everyone knew the kid wasn't gay. The way he's constantly staring at Claire is more than a little weird, too. Looks like psycho in the making to me. Also a bore-fest this week.

The whole Nate "becoming like your dad" angle is the only one that was really worthwhile this week. But I'm getting stuck on the fact that we completely missed some of the most significant aspects of that story - we skip Nates recovery / decision to marry Lisa and skip right to the aftermath. Seems lame and lazy to me - if you wanna take established characters somewhere for a specific result, you need to take us there - not just skip ahead and pull the result out of thin air.

Also the constant "is this a dream" thoughts that constantly cross my mind doesn't help things. And the 1 min close up on...male anatomy wasn't cool for me - lasted way to long. (I think if you added up all the seconds of T and A that's been on Sopranos the first 3 years it wouldn't add up to that long). In fact, the whole gay thing was layed on a bit too thick for me this week, and I've never had a problem with it before.

All in all, probably one of the worst this season for me. Nothing seemed to work that well - everything seems covered in ambiguity so far this season. But, we are only in by 3 episodes.

And the first person to claim the episode was providing a "setup" or "foundation" is getting punched Posted Image
JQ

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 03:38 AM

Terrible. Probably won't tune in again.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 05:58 AM

Surprised no one has mentioned next week...

Guess who's back!

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 07:01 AM

Ok... I'll tune in one more time! :b
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 08:31 AM

i didn't mind this episode at all.

nate is definitely worried about becoming his dad. when he screamed "i'm not you!" pretty much solidifies that storyline. now he's smoking too? also the scene where he sees ruth and lisa both wearing the apron was great!

i thought the banter between david and rico was great. you could tell david was ready to tell rico everything he wanted to know. rico's "no, i'm good" line was hilarious.

i dunno what's gonna happen with claire and russel. it's obvious he's got a crush on her, but i seriously doubt claire feels the same way - he's definitely not her type. maybe he'll become psycho dude.

it was nice not to see the david vs. keith thing again - that part is getting old. seeing keith act genuinely concerned at the end was nice.

but i thought the best part was when claire asked her mom to go to the museum. you could totally tell that made ruth's day - she even skipped moving the table back.

some nice touches in this episode.

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 08:37 AM

I enjoyed the episode also. Not every one is going to be better than the last.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,901 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 08:53 AM

I thought it was a great episode (after a fairly weak one last week). I loved the scene where Nate walked into the kitchen and Lisa and his mom both turned around at the same exact time and said, "Hi dear," and even looked very similar in appearance.

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Thomas H G

Thomas H G

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 09:14 AM

Yea it was a good episode.

Quote:
I thought it was a great episode (after a fairly weak one last week). I loved the scene where Nate walked into the kitchen and Lisa and his mom both turned around at the same exact time and said, "Hi dear," and even looked very similar in appearance.

Yea that was a great part.
My Collection at DVD Aficiando

boogieman187 on XBL

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 09:58 AM

Quote:
maybe he'll become psycho dude.

That should be right up Claire's alley.

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 10:00 AM

Chalk me up as someone else who enjoyed this week. Next week should be very interesting.
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 10:50 AM

Maybe it's just the war, but I haven't really enjoyed any TV lately (except the Faith episodes of Angel).

I re-watched the first three episodes this weekend, and I agree that so far this season has been a little too lackluster, though the deaths at the beginning of the show are as good as always. I like Lilly Taylor as a person and as an actress, but I am really not sure I like her character. She's not very endearing and I don't think she is much an improvement over Brenda. I wonder how long before Nate winds up leaving.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Matthew_S

Matthew_S

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 12:33 PM

i don't know...i've loved the last two episodes, last season was a little off from the first but i think it's coming back around? What are you looking for in this show? What's boring you all?

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 01:29 PM

Quote:
What are you looking for in this show?

Personally, I'm looking for the quality, entertainment, and interesting story's like we had in S1 and 2, while also moving the story and characters forward.

Quote:
What's boring you all?

I think I outlined it above, but I'll break it down a little more:

David - Seems like the same dance over and over - fight, makeup, fight, therapy, makeup, fight, vacation, fight. On top of that his recent acquisition of the "whiny" role in the relationship is getting grating, and his uncharacteristic uncaring about the funeral home is out of character. (Last week's vacation was a breath of fresh air, though)

Claire - Finds a loser and falls for him. Again, same song and dance as previous years. And the Russle "is he gay?" was predictable from the first minute we met the guy. The only promise this has is for Russle to flip out - I don't know why, but I think that guy could pull off a pretty good psycho - he's just got that look - it would be pretty funny to just see him blow up in someones face.

Rico - Again, same song and dance - Rico is still the hardass or the close minded one - the episode progresses and Rico learns something or has an epiphany and we see that he thinks he may have been wrong for being the hardass. Reset cycle, insert new story, and repeat for next week.

Ruth - Probably the one with the most potential - this week was good for her character, but the different angles / insinuations they're throwing into her new "friendship" are just weird.

Nate - The whole Dallas "Dreamland" possibility setup in Episode 1 is choking me up on Nate. Even if we're not in Dreamland, skipping Nates recovery, decision to Marry Lisa, and Maya's birth and getting right to the consequences is just lazy and lame. All that happened for Nate yet nothing significant has changed in the other characters? Bullshit. Its pure laziness because they didn't know where to take the character, so he was inserted into a spot that would provide new / unique problems for his character - (most notably becoming his father) - so we would ignore the time we missed and the fact that everyone else seems to have been frozen while Nate recovered/married/had his first child. Lazy, manipulative writing.

JQ

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Berk

Berk

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 11:44 PM

Three words...

Too Much Claire

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
Three words...

Too Much Claire
Three more words:

No Such Thing.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 04:41 AM

Quote:
Three more words:

No Such Thing.

one more word:

agreed!

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Thomas H G

Thomas H G

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 04:56 AM

Good points Jason.

With those in mind, then could it be possible that Nate is still in surgery?
My Collection at DVD Aficiando

boogieman187 on XBL

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 05:07 AM

I think the way to use David is in his relationship with Nate. We've hardly seen David at work, lately. But isn't he really running the business? Now, he has two partners, and one of them (Nate) doesn't really belong there, and the other one (Rico) doesn't know from business management.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow