What's new

Which albums and players will push you into high rez? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I am curious as to what titles and/or hardware will push any of you that are not already into hi-rez into either the Super Audio or DVD-Audio format?

If you are already into hi-rez - what else should either format be doing?

Thanks!

DamianA

Grip
"Dark side of the moon" on SACD.

I have it on 8 track, 12 inch, CD, tape, etc.

A few others but this is what made me decide to get into SACD.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks Damian. There have been a number of replies on Steve Hoffman that this title also pushed them over the edge and buy an SACD player.

Any other titles you would like to see now that you are into the hi-rez world?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Honestly what got me into hi res wasent even the hi res, it was the multi channel, in particular the metallica black album, more metal and good rock music is what both formats are severely lacking. I went with a universal player because i want to eventually get some CCR on SACD as well i did not want to discount the chances that some artists i like will come out on SACD, though that really isn't happening yet.

the biggest thing both formats need to do is start releasing NEW discs. Like the new matthew good album that just came out why wasent that on SACD or DVD-A. and the up comming Metallica album, that really should be on dvd-a. not to mention the new linkin park album.

its unfortunate but i think for allot of people older albums on sacd and dvd-a dont hold much appeal. there are a number of artists who's music i would not re-buy to have them in hi-res, but i would buy new music from them in hi-res. its unfortunate but that is the way it is.

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have a hi-rez player yet, I'll still waiting for a universal player that will meet my needs and budget. An affordable unit with bass management at 80 Hz would do nicely.

I'll be purchasing "Dark Side of the Moon" because it is a hybrid CD/SACD that I can play on my existing equipment. I'll enjoy it now with the knowledge the someday it will sound fabulous. I already have quite a few DVD-A's including Deep Purple, ELP, Doobie Bros, Yes, The Doors, Donald Fagan, and Grover Washington that I can listen to using the DTS or DD tracks.

Jethro Tull and Led Zep would be nice to have, maybe some ELO, Moody Blues, and Santana. I'm already sold on the format, now it's just a matter of waiting for the right player to come out.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
John:

Agreed on the multi-channel aspect.

This is why I had a DVD-A player shortly after its release, and why I waited for so long on an SACD player purchase.

Lee:

Since I have both formats capability in my systems, it's all about software.

What do I want to see? More titles. Day and date releases of new titles on formats.

Regards,

george king

Supporting Actor
I have a player, but that is only because I found an open box Sony SCD 775 for $100. However, there are several albums that I was waiting for, that still have not materialized.

Holly Cole - Temptation and Don't Smoke in Bed
Van Morrison - Moon Dance and Hymns to the Silence
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Traffic - Low Spark

If any of these had come out, I would have spent the money for a player.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The ability to get some quality remasters that aren't available on Redbook, plus multichannel (even though I hate a lot of multichannel mixes), is what prompted me to get high-res. Specific titles were not a factor.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I already own players capable of both Hi-res formats, but I have a large wish list of titles I would still like to see on both formats:

DVD-A: Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Talking Heads, early James Taylor, more Paul Simon, Pink Floyd, John Coltrane (Atlantic titles), Tom Petty, Madonna, Van Halen, more Fleetwood Mac, more Metallica.

I still do not understand why there have not even been any rumors about Warner doing some of the early James Taylor titles. His greatest hits is one of the top 100 selling records of all time, and besides DSOTM, is the second longest running album on the Billboard charts of all time. Looking at his Sony SACD releases, he also seems to not mind surround sound mixes on older work (see JT) either. It is tough to say what exactly Warner is doing these days, but there is no denying they have an incredible catalog that holds mass appeal.

SACD: more Bruce Springsteen, more Michael Jackson, more Pink Floyd, more The Who.

I would also like to see some more output from Sony (Hybrids please). They have been almost as bad as Warner early on this year in the amount of titles they are getting to market. Universal has been doing a nice job though as of late as well, getting out artists with widespread appeal.

If Sony and Warner followed Universal's recent output, there would be way more titles then I could afford. I would love to have more titles available, but there is a benefit to the relatively slow trickle in allowing me to reasonably keep up with releases without breaking the bank.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I don't have hi-res yet, and I'm not convinced I will do unless they start not releasing stuff elsewhere. I got a CD player when the Art Of Noise released extra tracks on the CD version, and I bought a DVD player when they didn't release Mars Attacks in widescreen on VHS.

Its all about the contents, and both vinyl and CD offer me good enough quality for my needs right now. If anything, I'd rather spend the cash on a better record deck, and re-listen to the hundreds of albums I already have.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
John,

I agree - do you have any particular favorites in titles you would like to see in hi-rez?

Justin,

I also agree we need Sony to be more active - I know they are sitting on a goldmine of master tapes.

Michael,

Even though specific titles were not a factor, are there any personal faves you would like to see?

Also, if you think something like a $150-200 universal player from a decent brand would help, let us know...

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I got into hi-rez for hi-rez...not for any specific title. Because I love music, all kinds of music, the idea of hearing it with the highest possible fidelity and not have the expense and upkeep of buying a quality turntable, was enticing. I haven't regretted the purchase for a single minute.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I'd like to see more Multi channel Hi Rez releases.
Why are the Police SACD's just stereo??? Big mistake.
I'd love to see some U2, Talking Heads, early Steely Dan whatever format as long as it has a Multi channel track.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

Supertramp's entire catalog: Great material, very well recorded. Actual dynamic range.

The entire Steely Dan catalog: Ditto.

The Beatles: 'nuff said.

Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass: entire catalog from Concord

Phil Woods: Anything that's out there

Jerry Bergonzi: Ditto

Jon Faddis: More material from David Chesky, please.

Supersax: Everything available, especially Supersax Plays Bird, and Supersax and the LA Voices.

New releases from big name artists day and date, like:
Fleetwood Mac
Steely Dan
James Taylor

That's a starting point at least.

Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Jon Faddis: More material from David Chesky, please.
They just released some new titles but the Faddis is one of my favorites. I would suggest Ana Caram's older album on SACD which just came out - the fourth track Viola de for Moda (or something like that) is a beautiful test track because a "rain stick" moves around the soundfield. Perhaps some Phil Woods will be out from Chesky - I think I remember David saying his albums have sold well. Not familiar with Rob McConnell or Jerry Bergonzi but I am intrigued since you mentioned them.

I strongly agree on SuperTramp, Beatles (this will be huge for either format IMHO), Steely Dan (one of my all-time favorite bands).

Thanks.

I would personally love to see the entire Van Morrison catalog in either format. He has recorded a lot of hidden gems that rarely, if ever, get played on the radio.

Brian E

Screenwriter
A universal player for $500 or less that does proper bass management would do it for me (video wouldn't be a must, but I think it would be needed for the DVD-A side anyway).

george king

Supporting Actor
Lee,

I really want all of Van on SACD, but those are two of my favorites. Actually, I am listening to avalon sunset right now.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

WRT Van Morrison -- we've become a "singles oriented" society, and I think very few listen for the hidden gems. Too bad, as some of the best material isn't going to be on a hit single. Or at least that was the case back when it was artists with talent and not prepackaged marketing "stars".

Not that there's a lack of talent, just that there's a lack of artists, if that makes sense.

Dig up some of the old Rob McConnell stuff if you can, it should be locatable on vinyl. Technically flawless, brilliantly arranged and some excellent soloists to boot.

Regards,

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
A universal player for $500 or less that does proper bass management would do it for me
Same here (emphasis on proper bass management). I already own a CE775 for SACD, and enjoy numerous DVD-A MC mixes via their DTS/DD tracks. I can't see spending on more hardware until the above comes about, although I'd likely spend more than $500.
I don't need to be sold on software, but Beatles is my Grail. Rubber Soul would be sweet. Or, how about "Sun King", or "Because" in MC SACD? Oy, the heart leaps.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Beatles would be very nice. How about some XTC?

My favorite high-res disc is the Frank Zappa DVD-A, because it was never released before in other formats (and it sounds great). I'd love some more Zappa.

I'll certainly buy King Crimson and any other Robert Fripp stuff in high-res; preferably with surround mixes included where possible.

More Pink Floyd, especially Meddle and WYWH. Flaming Lips (first DVD-A for Yoshimi is on the way).

Jimi Hendrix, including mono mixes, would sure be nice.

Know what I'd really like in surround? Classic electronic stuff like Art of Noise, Yello, and The Orb....even Ozric Tentacles.

Negativland!

There's a lot of other stuff I'd love in high res, but there's some things that would sure get my attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks