Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDTV Programming problem

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 12:11 AM

I'm new to the HD Cable side of things so I'm wondering what this is all about. I have acces to only 9 HD channels, 5 local and 4 movie (2 Sho and 2 HBO). I was watching the news before the oscars last night trying to get my picture as good as possible on the HD channel. They were showing some news stuff and I noticed the picture wasn't fitting on my screen. I have never seen this problem before. I tried all four video modes my TV does and nothing. I don't believe its a matter of positioning iether since I was losing picture on the bottom and on the top and on the sides. I also noticed it was only with some shows as the commercials seem to come in OK, as did the Oscars.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,215 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 02:07 AM

Not everything being broadcasted over the HDTV channels will be in the 16x9 form factor. There is still 4:3 material being broadcast over the HDTV feeds. The feed will have sidebars processed into the video feed for the 4:3 shows (also local news shows). If a show is "hard matted" for letterbox, but is really inside a 4:3 window, it's going to have black bars all around the video portion. Shows like Angel and Enterprise do this on HDTV displays (both 16x9 RPTVs and 4:3 RPTVs).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 04:42 AM

Yeah I've seen the bars on the side with the channel and call sign, and that really doesn't bother me, however what I'm trying to describe is something I've never seen before Normally if your trying to force a 4:3 signal into the "full" display on a high aspect ration TV it just stretches and smooshes the picture. till it fits. This looked like an OK picture but It was cutting off the logo in the lower right and the score in the upper left and the writing was against the right and left edges. The TV should take the signal and make it fit, this is not happening in these cases. The picture is not fitting on my TV screen.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 11:45 PM

nobody else has this problem of the picture not small enough to fit on the screen?

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,215 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 01:06 AM

Sounds like the TV is zooming the image onto the display screen.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 03:59 AM

Bill: >>Normally if your trying to force a 4:3 signal into the "full" display on a high aspect ration TV it just stretches and smooshes the picture. till it fits. This looked like an OK picture but It was cutting off the logo in the lower right and the score in the upper left and the writing was against the right and left edges. The TV should take the signal and make it fit, this is not happening in these cases. The picture is not fitting on my TV screen. << As Patrick suggests, I suspect what you are seeing may be normal. A few thoughts, which may clarify: 1.) Some 16 X 9 TVs have different types of diplay modes. Mine has 5. One stretches the picture, evenly. Another stretches, it, but stretches it more at the sides, and less in the center. This mode also crops off a bit of the top and bottom, but not much. Another mode I have on my TV zooms into the center of the picture, and does a LOT of cropping. So, if I choose this, I lose a LOT of the picture. A lot. 2.) Some local channels are experimenting, and using their own forms of "stretch" and "zoom" and "crop." I have access to three that are doing their "own thing." One is my ABC local digital channel. They (or some reason) have decided to stretch all of their 4 X 3 standard definition stuff on their own, and they are using a combination of stretch and crop to do this. So, there is nothing I can do. It means I am forced to "miss" things at the top and bottom, and sometimes this means a logo or a ticker or a legend is cut right off, no matter what I do with my equipment. Another local digital channel (my UPN station) is choosing its own bizarre aspect ratio -- it is 14 X 9. Really. So, with this channel, I am always seeing a very slightly cropped signal, with missing info at the tops and bottoms. It also has side bars, black ones, but they are smaller than the black side bars which most other digital channels broadcast on standard definition 4 X 3 content. The rest of my local 16 X 9 digital channels are using 16 X 9 for all high definition, and are using 4 X 3 with all standard definition. They are also all providing their own black bars when it is 4 X 3 programming. A third unusual aspect ratio (which causes many to gripe) is the one used by HBO's high definition channels. They are presenting almost all newer films in 16 X 9, and performing some sort of strange transfer, to stretch the really widescreen films (2.35:1 ones, or 2.40:1 ones, etc.), so that these movies fill the entire screen of a 16 X 9 widescreen set. In sum, I would take careful note of what channel you are watching, when you see this behavior you describe. Also, I would take careful note of what "display mode" you have chosen for your TV at the time, and for your set top box (if you have one). If things still do not seem right, post back, and be even more specific. What model TV? What display mode? What channel? What is the local station, the location, and the network affiliation, if any? We are in a state of transition. Broadcasters are not certain how to handle their 4 X 3 standard definition programming on digital channels when no high definition programming is available. They often have different opinions as to what is the best "solution" for this problem. And, no matter which choice they make, it seems that about half of the viewers will not like it. -Bruce in Chi-Town

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 05:11 AM

Thanks Bruce and Patrick.

I will note the channels from now on. I've tried all 4 display settings I have available to me on my 47" Panny. I get the same problem on all of them, even 4:3 mode.

But like I said it's not for every show, mainly the news and most sitcoms, so far. And this is on the same channel.

HBO comes in real nice though Posted Image

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Gene S

Gene S

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:09 AM

Bill, What cable box do you have? I have a SA3100HD and it outputs everything to 1080i. I also have a Panny TV and when it receives a progressive or HD signal it locks on the full mode, theres no way to use the stretch or zoom mode when this happens. Gene

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   David.N

David.N

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 06:06 AM

yes, this was discuss quite a bit after the last superbowl. Most of us could only see the bottom 1/4 of the game clock. We had no idea how much time was left in each quarter. The image was fantastic, just not "exactly" a good fit on the screen.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 06:07 AM

My local ABC station crops all non HD programming and I really hate it! Our local CBS station does it right and runs non HD stuff in 4X3 with side bars.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 01:22 AM

Gene not sure what the model number is. But hwat your describing is exactly what happens to me. The TV seem to be locked at one display now matter what I change the setting to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users