Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Any opinion on Sony SCD-C222ES SACD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Guest_Chris*Liberti_*

Guest_Chris*Liberti_*

Posted March 23 2003 - 07:52 PM

I am looking to get a SACD/CD only player (no video) in the near future and this one is at the top of my list. I will probably be getting it in about a week (I already ordered DSOTM) I was looking a year ago and ended up going DVD-A although most of the titles I want are coming out on SACD (with a few exceptions)

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 11:24 PM

Chris, if you do a search, you will find a number of opinions on the 'C222ES. Most of them are strongly positive. I have used this player, and it is excellent. CD playback is much better than what you typically see at the price point ($350 USD by mail through authorized dealers). I owned one for a short period and only exchanged it for a 'C555ES because it had a defective carousel drawer. I consider that to be an anomaly.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Dan Joy

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 12:52 AM

Chris,

I love my 222ES. I don't have anything else to compare to except my 12 year old JVC cd player with only analog outs. It has excellent build quality and alot of featuresPosted Image
GO BLACKHAWKS !!!

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   ChrisAG

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 02:23 AM

Ditto... If you are of the type that believes most DVD players and cheap CD players don't do a good job with redbook CDs, you will be very pleased with the results the 222ES gives you.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 04:45 AM

Be sure to shop around... I was shocked to see them charging $800 for the 222ES at my local Tweeter (Boylston St, Boston). I only paid $600 to Oade Bros. for the C555ES!
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 11:58 AM

Rich said:

[quote] I was shocked to see them charging $800 for the 222ES at my local Tweeter (Boylston St, Boston). [quote]

I assume this was not recent. The 'C222ES now retails for $500. One should be able to find it for around $350 through Oade Bros., J&R Music World, and/or OneCall.
My:
Second Stereo System ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 02:24 AM

I have been very happy with my 222ES. Seeing that Sony has yet to announce any audio only SACD players this year, it might be a good idea to pick up a 222ES ASAP if you are looking for a player without video circuitry. With the 5 year ES warranty, this player should last you for quite some time. J

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 07:44 AM

[quote] I assume this was not recent. The 'C222ES now retails for $500. [quote] It was last Sunday! At the Tweeter on Boylston Street... outrageous.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 10:42 AM

Rich, I have been in Tweeter stores that have failed to update price tags. I'm pretty sure the 'C222ES is in the Tweeter computer system for $500, so I doubt someone would get screwed. I was in a Tweeter store today in Delaware that had a display 'C222ES marked $500.
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#10 of 12 Guest_Chris*Liberti_*

Guest_Chris*Liberti_*

Posted March 25 2003 - 11:54 AM

I have been unable to find any local authorized dealer selling it for less than $499. Also AFAIK none of the sony online dealers are authorized to sell the ES line online (all of the sites either ask for a zip code before they show what is available or they say they can only ship them to certain areas where they have wherehouses and they actually will be making the delivery instead of UPS.)

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 12:45 PM

Chris, Oade Bros., OneCall, and J&R will not advertise their lowest prices on Sony ES gear online. You have to call. I have never had Oade Bros. quote me a retail price on a Sony ES component over the phone. OneCall and J&R have quoted retail prices on certain Sony ES items over the phone, but when I have told them that a competitor (authorized dealer) had the component for less money, they have usually matched the price or come very close.
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,823 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 25 2003 - 01:16 PM

[quote] Also AFAIK none of the sony online dealers are authorized to sell the ES line online [quote]
Chris, both OneCall and Oade Brothers are authorized online dealers for Sony's ES line. I have purchased two ES items from OneCall -- a SCD-555ES SACD changer, and a DA50ES receiver (which I no longer own). I had no trouble getting warranty service performed on the receiver when it malfunctioned (turned out to be a blown fuse), and that service was performed at an actual Sony Service Center.

As Keith stated, you will need to call OneCall to get their best price. For example, they listed the SCD-555ES at $800 on their website, yet I was able to get a price of $595 just by calling (no haggling required).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users