What's new

Any opinion on Sony SCD-C222ES SACD (1 Viewer)

C

Chris*Liberti

I am looking to get a SACD/CD only player (no video) in the near future and this one is at the top of my list. I will probably be getting it in about a week (I already ordered DSOTM) I was looking a year ago and ended up going DVD-A although most of the titles I want are coming out on SACD (with a few exceptions)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, if you do a search, you will find a number of opinions on the 'C222ES. Most of them are strongly positive. I have used this player, and it is excellent. CD playback is much better than what you typically see at the price point ($350 USD by mail through authorized dealers). I owned one for a short period and only exchanged it for a 'C555ES because it had a defective carousel drawer. I consider that to be an anomaly.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Chris,

I love my 222ES. I don't have anything else to compare to except my 12 year old JVC cd player with only analog outs. It has excellent build quality and alot of features:)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Ditto...

If you are of the type that believes most DVD players and cheap CD players don't do a good job with redbook CDs, you will be very pleased with the results the 222ES gives you.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Be sure to shop around... I was shocked to see them charging $800 for the 222ES at my local Tweeter (Boylston St, Boston). I only paid $600 to Oade Bros. for the C555ES!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich said:

I was shocked to see them charging $800 for the 222ES at my local Tweeter (Boylston St, Boston).
I assume this was not recent. The 'C222ES now retails for $500. One should be able to find it for around $350 through Oade Bros., J&R Music World, and/or OneCall.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I have been very happy with my 222ES. Seeing that Sony has yet to announce any audio only SACD players this year, it might be a good idea to pick up a 222ES ASAP if you are looking for a player without video circuitry. With the 5 year ES warranty, this player should last you for quite some time.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I have been in Tweeter stores that have failed to update price tags. I'm pretty sure the 'C222ES is in the Tweeter computer system for $500, so I doubt someone would get screwed. I was in a Tweeter store today in Delaware that had a display 'C222ES marked $500.

C

Chris*Liberti

I have been unable to find any local authorized dealer selling it for less than $499. Also AFAIK none of the sony online dealers are authorized to sell the ES line online (all of the sites either ask for a zip code before they show what is available or they say they can only ship them to certain areas where they have wherehouses and they actually will be making the delivery instead of UPS.)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, Oade Bros., OneCall, and J&R will not advertise their lowest prices on Sony ES gear online. You have to call. I have never had Oade Bros. quote me a retail price on a Sony ES component over the phone. OneCall and J&R have quoted retail prices on certain Sony ES items over the phone, but when I have told them that a competitor (authorized dealer) had the component for less money, they have usually matched the price or come very close.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also AFAIK none of the sony online dealers are authorized to sell the ES line online
Chris, both OneCall and Oade Brothers are authorized online dealers for Sony's ES line. I have purchased two ES items from OneCall -- a SCD-555ES SACD changer, and a DA50ES receiver (which I no longer own). I had no trouble getting warranty service performed on the receiver when it malfunctioned (turned out to be a blown fuse), and that service was performed at an actual Sony Service Center.

As Keith stated, you will need to call OneCall to get their best price. For example, they listed the SCD-555ES at $800 on their website, yet I was able to get a price of $595 just by calling (no haggling required).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks