What's new

Newbe has his first hdtv (me) could use some help (1 Viewer)

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
sup peeps

well i got an RCA D52W135D... this is a 52" with an intergaded dvd player.... now i have afue questions... how can i tell if the dvd player is useing progessive scan? also how can i tell what rez its useing (480 , 720, 1080)?picture is nice but anything that is red on the screen looks blocky... is this normal for hdtv's or is there a way to fix the blocky reds? an other thing im not likeing so fair about this tv is when im sitting in front of it (8-9 feet) the top of the screen looks alittle darker then the bottem.... if i get up then the top will look brighter then the bottem. is there any way to fix this problem or is this normal for all hdtv's or dose this tv suck... i have 30 days to try and if i dont like it..the sales guy i can bring it back... thanks for any help anyone can give me

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Most likely DVDs are always displayed in 480p w/ the integrated player unless the TV gives you an option.

RE: the blocky reds, is this w/ DVDs or HD channels or other sources? This sounds like just MPEG compression artifacts.

RE: the brightness/darkness issue, that's a common issue for RPTVs to varying degrees. Some may be better than others, but they all exhibit this to some extent. It's hard to know if what you're seeing is worse than the norm. I suggest checking out other RPTVs, especially the floor model for this one, for comparison.

Personally, I wouldn't bother w/ an RCA nor any others w/ built-in DVD player.

_Man_

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
so if the internal dvd player uses 480p.... are there any dvd players that can use a higher rez or is that normal for all dvd players? and if my tv is an rptv (wich i dont know what that is) wouldnt it say that somewhere in the specs section of the user guide. how could one find out if the tv is rptv?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
DVD's max resolution is 480i/p. Upconverting higher is not necessarily a good thing although Samsung is coming out w/ an affordable player (HD931) for that this summer.

I just checked RCA's site, and yours is definitely an RPTV. Pretty much any TV larger than 40" and not slim/flat is an RPTV.

_Man_

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
hmmmm i should have known that one hu?!?!?! lol ....well thanks so much for helping me out... i have more questions but ill play around with the tv for right now.... thanks again peeps..... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks