What's new

Academy Award Winner..............Eminem (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Who votes on best song for the oscars? I know a member of the academy, but all he receives are screener copies of films. Knowing the type of individuals that generally make up the academy voters, I am guessing music types vote on the best song. I think this may have suprised Eminem himself as he was a no show for the award ceremony.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
http://www.oscars.org/academyawards/index2.html

Well I found this link on the voting process, so I can only guess that the music oriented voters have become much younger in nature, or maybe votes for the other 4 nominess were distributed equally four ways leaving way for Eminem to win. I still cannot believe it though, maybe this was some sort of message from the voters.

J

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I think it was Eminem and the 2 guys who "co-wrote" the song who won.

I'm not much of an Eminem fan but I gave this song a chance. It's a very smart song. Good stuff.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I think it was Eminem and the 2 guys who "co-wrote" the song who won.
Actually, I think the other two guys were strictly responsible for the "music" along with Eminem, while Eminem did all of the lyrics himself. It is an OK rap song, not Oscar worthy in my opinion, but honestly I could care less about the results of the Oscars in the grand scheme of things.

J

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
I was nearly as stunned as Barbra Streisand was. First the Grammys and now the Oscars...what else do I have to give up on?

disenchanted Jimmy

Ike

Screenwriter
I guess Rap is now "really" mainstream.........
Rap was "really" mainstream 10 years ago.

While I certainly am not saying he deserved to win (or didn't deserve to win, for that matter), does anyone that is just making a snide comment and moving on care to elaborate as to why you didn't think the song didn't deserve to win?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I was nearly as stunned as Barbra Streisand was. First the Grammys and now the Oscars...what else do I have to give up on?
So noone's allowed to hold an opinion contrary to you, or you "give up" on it?? That's how that comment comes across :-(

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I'm really glad that Eminem won. The song is incredibly powerful, and excellent. I'm also glad to see glad that the Academy's losing some of it's stodginess.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The song is incredibly powerful, and excellent.
Indeed. I'm far from a big Eminem fan (but a longtime U2 fan if that means anything)... I think that particular song is outstanding. It captures the complete emotion of "8 Miles". And definitely deserved the win.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
While I certainly am not saying he deserved to win (or didn't deserve to win, for that matter), does anyone that is just making a snide comment and moving on care to elaborate as to why you didn't think the song didn't deserve to win?
I do like some Eminem songs and truth be told he might have had the strongest song in the bunch...
I don't think I was being "snide" so where do I say he didn't deserve to win????:confused:

Aaron Whitaker

Stunt Coordinator
I like the song and as expected I went to see the movie to see the song be performed in '8 mile'. It wasn't.:angry: It was tacked on in the credits. I realize that some songs are tacked on in the credits, but does this mean that if you have a great song and you want to win an Oscar, all you have to do is tack it onto some movies credits? And yes, I do realize the song is about making it and such but I think in order for a song to be nominated, it must be present in the movie. I did like Paul Simon's song, it's a very nice and poignant song about a father showing his love for his daughter.

On a side note, I was glad to see Chris Cooper win best supporting actor for Adaptation. I haven't seen this film yet but thought he was great in American Beauty.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a rap fan, but in the context of the film, "Lose Yourself" was integrated into the film seamlessly. I have no problems with this song winning the Oscar (and the competition in this category wasn't all that strong either, didn't think U2's song did much for the film, Gangs of New York).

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator

Precisely how I meant it to be perceived- The fact that Eminem was even nominated is hard for me to believe. As I sees it- its just more proof-positive that the voting members are leaning more towards catering to the court of popular opinion. Any time true artists are upstaged by a caricature, I'm left dumbfounded. If this is the opinion of the general public, then "I give up".

I'm still reeling from the fact that Britney Spears' "Crossroads" was completely overlooked in every catagory this year.

Snooty-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks