What's new

Help with Speaker selection & placement (1 Viewer)

JohnBZZ

Auditioning
Hello All,

My first post to this great resource, here goes: I'm building a Casita that will have a HT approximately 12WX16D. I'm thinking of going with the Klipsch RF-5 fronts and center, the RCW-5 "in wall" surrounds and a pair of the RCR-5 rears. Along with this I will add a pair of SVS CS+ for the subs. My questions are:

1) Is this to much for such a small room? Maybe one SVS?

2) I thinking of going with the in wall surrounds because I'm afraid the dipoles will stick out to far mounted on the wall, is this a compromise? Must I use a dipole?

3) I'm thinking of putting the surrounds two feet in front of the couch ( my ears) about six feet high on a ten foot high wall, is this about right? The rears will go straight ovehead, at the back of the couch.

4) Lastly, the loaded question, should I be looking for something else at this price point? This is for HT only, no music, no TV. I'm told the Klipsch are overall a pretty good value, I really don't want to split hairs on this because I doubt I will be able to tell much difference since I have no reference for comparison.

Thanks in advance, I'm traveling next week so I will not get any responses until my return.

John Gates

Second Unit
Hi John,

Welcome to the HTF! Congrats on the first post.

Klipsch is indeed a decent value, but only if you like the Klipsch sound. Some find Klipsch to be too harsh, resulting in listener "fatigue" over a period of time, while others LOVE the Klipsch sound. If you have listened to them and like the sound, go for it and enjoy!

On the sub, I would consult with Tom V over at SVS on the dimensions of your room. In my own experience, I would recommend you buy a single CS+ with outboard amplifier and order the 2nd one if you feel it's needed. This shouldn't cost you any extra in shipping and might save you a few hundred and some space if you don't need two.

In-wall surround speakers are a nice use of space, but they are "generally" regarded as inferior in sound to boxed speakers using the same drivers. Inwalls are also more difficult to upgrade if you decide down the road if you need something different (holes in the wall and all). If space is a premium, get the inwalls and be happy.

Dipoles are preferred by many. I personally prefer direct-firing rear speakers, especially if they have good dispersion characteristics. Get what you personally prefer (listen to lots of setups if possible).

Some tips on auditioning: Bring your own DVDs and listen to the same scene over and over and over until you get to know what's there, what's not there, etc. This will help you to compare speakers more easily and spot differences in sound quality and detail.

As for other options, I'm a big fan of internet direct companies, as in general there is more bang per buck here. Here are some well-regarded alternatives: nOrh (the new Pyramid speakers look very interesting wall-mounted for HT, as well as the exceptional 4.0 drum speaker), Axiom (M3Ti and possibly others), Ascend (CBM-170), Onyx Rockets have a good following. BUT, again, if you like the Klipsch sound, go for those.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!

John G

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
John, my room is similar in size to yours, but it opens into other rooms and a hallway. One SVS 16-46+ with Samson 1000 is plenty for reference level at my house. However, two would be better :D

If you are going with 7.1, then you probably do not want dipoles. However, if you do a lot of 5.1 and Prologic, then you may want dipoles.

BTW, I found than my 4 surrounds sounded better at 5 feet than at the frequently recommended 6.5 feet. If you have the chance, you may want to experiment with height before drilling or cutting holes in your walls. My side surrounds are even with my listening position. Although 6-12 inches infront would probably work, I would experiment before going 2 feet in front of you.

I think Klipsh speakers are great for effects & very efficient. However, my RC-3 II was not very good with dialogue. You might want to audition some talking passages to make sure you are pleased with them. Most importantly on the front speakers, make sure all 3 are timbre matched.

Good Luck!

JohnBZZ

Auditioning
Thanks for all the feedback, I'll take the advice and go out shopping for the speakers this weekend.

The wife will force me on the in-wall speakers, I know it's a bit of a comprimise, but everything is a trade off I guess.

If I can get the speakers behind me then it's off to the projector! Once again, thanks for the help.

John

John Gates

Second Unit
Go John! What an exciting time for you!

I can still remember going out and buying my first HT gear.... :)

My first setup was a batch of nOrh 4.0 drums and a pair of SVS original 20-39's. Heaven!

I hope you are blessed with a wife who's as excited as you are about this.

Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks