What's new

Toshiba SD4800 & DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
The Toshiba SD4800 came with a sampler DVD-Audio disc. However, I have been unable to get it to play any of the sample tracks. All I get is a repeat play of a 2-minute video introduction to DVD-Audio.

Can someone else with this same DVD player comment on whether or not they had the same problem with the sampler disc ??? I am just not sure now if my player is defective or the disc is defective. I am also wondering if I actually need to have the 5.1 cables to get DVD-Audio sound ??? I only have an optical connection, but I thought I read somewhere that the 5.1 cables are required for DVD-Audio playback (but I can't imagine why the sound wouldn't just go through the optical cable).

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
DVD-A is only output on the 5.1 analog outputs. You must connect these to your receiver's 5.1 input to hear the DVD-A disc.

SeanA

Second Unit
Thanks Andrew,

Do you think the DVD player is smart enough to know that I don't have the 5.1 analog connections, and this is the reason I can't even get a menu of the audio tracks on the sampler disc ???

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Sean, most Receiver's require you to select the 5.1 inputs manually. Also,not only do you have to hook up the analog cables, you also have to change the Toshiba'a default setting to DVD-Audio, and then when you want to switch to DVD-Video you have to do everything all over again. What a bother!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Rick_Brown:

Also,not only do you have to hook up the analog cables, you also have to change the Toshiba'a default setting to DVD-Audio, and then when you want to switch to DVD-Video you have to do everything all over again. What a bother!
Just a point of clarification here: do you mind elaborating on the above please?

Do you mean that there is a (brief?) sequence of menus you have to step through and make choices from every time you switch from a DVD-A to DVD-V disc or vice versa?

Paul

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Do you mean that there is a (brief?) sequence of menus you have to step through and make choices from every time you switch from a DVD-A to DVD-V disc or vice versa?
Exactly, Paul. Every time. You need to access the setup menu, make the change, then power off and on. I get lazy sometimes and just listen in DTS rather than switching to DVD-Audio for non-critical listening.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Rick_Brown:

Thanks for the reply, Rick.

Exactly, Paul. Every time. You need to access the setup menu, make the change, then power off and on.
Geez, Louise.

Despite all of the positive comments around the Forum about the 4800, this is a buzz kill dealbreaker for me. It arguably defeats part of the functional/aesthetic point of having both formats playable on the same piece.

How common is this !$#@* engineering/design in DVD-V/-A players? For instance, does anyone know if the Mitsu DD-8020 requires similar shenanigans to switch between formats?

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks