What's new

Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal: Who watched it last weekend? (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Since I didn't see a thread about it for the past week, I thought I should just post it myself.

Who here watched the "Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal" documentary last weekend? If you haven't just yet, don't fear. Game Show Network will reair it tomorrow night at 9 P.M. Eastern/6 P.M. Pacific and Midnight Eastern/9 P.M. Pacific.

Now my take:

BIG BUCKS: THE PRESS YOUR LUCK SCANDEL

**** out of ****

I must say right off the bat that if you love or did love "Press Your Luck", I require you to watch this documentary to see the truth of how Michael Larson cracked the code and won $110,237 on May 19, 1984.

When USA aired reruns of this show when I was four years old, I watched them every weekday and I was hooked on the show. At the time, I had no reason to ever suspect that some guy could ever win $110,237 in a single day. That was, until about a year ago.

That was when "Press Your Luck" got revived by being shown on the Game Show Network. I tuned in a lot to remember what I most likely forgot. One day, whlie browsing the Internet, I came across a fan site for the show and found out about Michael Larson and how he walked away with $110,237. I read that the episodes had never been seen with the exception of their air date. It was at that point that sometime, I would need to see those episodes. I gave up for a while, that is until I heard about the documentary that aired last weekend and boy, was I surprised...

The documentary not only shows the "infamous" episodes, but goes into details about how Michael Larson cracked the code, got on the show, and at the end of each act, describes how Michael Larson planned his startegy on how to win the game.

But that's not all. You'll also see how Michael Larson lost all his money and a brief glimpse of his life after he won the money, how the CBS execs intially refused to pay him the money, and you will also see his two opponents play a reworked "Press Your Luck" board that looks almost exactly as I remember it from the show, using Michael Larson' strategy (To find out that strategy, you must tune in to the doc).

Although this a two hour documentary with commercials, I must tell you that the documentary really only runs 83 minutes without them, but everything I mentioned plus a little more is crammed into that time.

If you haven't seen this documentary and have Game Show Network, I urge you to see this documentary because it is very interesting. If you don't have Game Show Network, I urge you to find somebody who does and tape this doc because it is definately one of the best. Now, if only the E! True Hollywood Story did a documentary about the whole show, then I would be really satisfied.

However, I was disappointed with just one miner thing. That is the fact that the episodes weren't shown in their entirety, but I can let that slide.

Still, don't miss this documentary. I can't wait to see what Game Show Network does for an encore here.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I saw most of the last half hour, and what I saw was amazing. I just watched in awe as this guy continued to make money while the other two contestants stayed mad at him for doing so well.

It really was entertaining and I'm sorry I missed the rest of it. I actually made it a plan to try and catch it but never could.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I'll make a note to check this out tomorrow.

Did they mention anywhere in the documentary that Bill Murray is(was?) planning to make Larson's story into a movie?

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall hearing any mention of a movie in the documentary, Kevin.

What was amazing was the fact that this guy kept his cool, hitting a window with a bonus spin each time he took his turn. I suppose you could say that this guy fell into the "too much time on his hands" category, but you can't argue with the results.

(I was going to comment on the ending, but I'll come back later for that)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
They made this guy seem like a monster! It was terrible.

If I would have figured out that pattern so I could hit the 5000 + a spin, i'd do it in a heartbeat

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i don't thnk they made him out to be a monster.

only his common law wife really bad mouthed him.

the man conmtestant never seemed to be angry at all. the woman outwordly or openly made many angry faces towards michael every time he spun and didnt hit a wammy. she still seemed angry in the present day interview with her.

he came across to me as a ralph kramden type. a poor guy who was always after some kind of get rich quick sceme. only larsen found one that worked.

i thought it presented him as a person to feel sorry for.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
We watched it Friday nite and really enjoyed hearing about this story.

I was not aware of this scandal until I was up late last weekend and saw the listing of it in the schedule.

Its amazing to see someone so dedicated to trying to beat the system and then actually succeed at it.

It's a very informative story and well put together.

Paul

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Everybody bashed him... but the guy was a bum. He hit a big scheme, but he was still a bum.

An interesting doc, glad I watched it. Don't think I would ever revisit it, however.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was very good and I liked how they interwove the original Press You Luck episodes into the doc. I wonder if the Game Show network will do any more documentaries.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Anyone have a new airdate? I have a chance to program the VCR now, and don't want to mess up a second time..

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Too bad I don't have The Game Show network. That would be interesting to watch. I used to be a big fan of the show and I wouldn't mind revisiting it.

Jason

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I would really like to see this.

Would someone who has it taped or TiVO'ed and would like to archive it in an offsite facility ( ;) ) please send me a PM. Thanks!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Neil V, it was on yesterday for the last time, at least for the hext two weeks according to the Tivo TV-schedule. I'm sure it will be shown again though.

I Tivod it, haven't watched it yet though, except for bits and pieces. Looks interesting.

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks