Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Concerns about driving full range speakers with HK receiver

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   EmetW

EmetW

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 01:34 PM

My big concern is that HK's have a low power rating vs. other receivers which is OK with my because I know they are underrated for the most part, but in this day and age a low power rating could also mean a manufacturer is taking advantage of so many "HT in a box" small speaker systems buyers. These systems commonly have ~3" "woofers" that don't require the receiver to put out a lot of power. I would like to get an HK receiver because of the warmth they seem to possess over many others that I have looked at, but I will be driving full range speakers and MAYBE a powered sub, but not likely in the near future. Will 40-60 HK watts be sufficient in producing bass/midbass? I'd rather not have to EQ anything if possible... I'm looking namely at the AVR-125, AVR-210, AVR-220, and AVR310 for their $300 and less price tags in the used market. Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 02:01 PM

[quote] Will 40-60 HK watts be sufficient in producing bass/midbass? [quote]
Definitely yes! But only if your SPEAKERS are capable of reproducing what the H/K sends them.

LJ

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   EmetW

EmetW

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 03:02 PM

Excellent! That's good enough for me Posted Image

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Ricky T

Ricky T

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 03:04 PM

Don't forget about the HK ebay store:

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=26519532

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Frank Carter

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 06:04 PM

Hk receivers are excellent. Most of the time they'll be more than sufficient. Getting your desired output has a lot to do with how sensitive your speakers are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users