Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Glow in the dark stars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   rodney wiley

rodney wiley

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 08:41 AM

Has anyone tried these on their ceiling? If so how does it look?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 03:19 AM

Do you have a picture or a link?

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   GabrielleG

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 06:32 AM

If you are literally talking about the glow in the dark stickers shaped like stars, I had those on my dorm ceiling when I was in college. They are simply stickers that glow brightly after the lights are turned off. The glow does fade after a while until the light is turned on again. There is a kit that you can buy that people use for HT purposes and I have heard that it works well. I think that one is more like a filament that is hung down through the ceiling and when the lights are turned off they look like the actual stars in the sky. I believe those kits cost at least 500 dollars.

Hope that helps,
Gabrielle

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   rodney wiley

rodney wiley

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 09:23 AM

I was referring to the actual glow in the dark stars. I have seen the fiber optic sets and they are a little to high for my budget. I have a flat black ceiling and wanted to spice it up a little and was considering these stars

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   BrianKR

BrianKR

Second Unit

• 498 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 09:40 AM

Where can I buy the fiber optics lights you are referring to?

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Wes

Wes

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts
  • LocationUtah USA

Posted March 24 2003 - 05:21 PM

I just painted my stars (white paint specks) but they are only really visible when lights are on!
http://prosteering.8k.com/custom2.html

Wes
My Theater Web Site:
www.prosteering.8k.com

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   MikeWh

MikeWh

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 02:51 AM

I've used the peel-off stickers in my son's bedroom. They look pretty much like any other glow-in-the-dark sticker-- they glow intensely for about 10-15 minutes after the lights are off... then fade to nothing over the course of a half-hour. I haven't used them in the theater, since I rarely have the lights up full power for the "charging" process, and they don't last long enough for added ambiance. My guess is that the light from the screen would be too bright to actually see them anyways, so the "neat factor" would only occur during the 3 seconds between the lights going down and the lion roaring on my screen. Posted Image

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 03:59 AM

Here's one place to get fiber optic stars. Del Lighting

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 07:22 AM

Knocking a cartoon rabbit over the head with a wooden mallet usually works too... Posted Image

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Ron Krebs

Ron Krebs

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 11:08 AM

My cousin just had the Paint on type. They hired a company for I think about $350 US to come out and paint the exact constellation for the day that their son was born on the ceiling. Looks awesome and you can see it when you turn the lights out for about 5 minutes.

Ron

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Chris Moe

Chris Moe

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 11:43 AM

www.thefiberopticstore.com

If you have a black light you can put Woolite on the ceiling and it glows in the black light. Probably not what you want to do in your theater though.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 07:58 AM

I remember stick on stars from way back when....I also remember it being a pain to get them all off without damaging the ceiling.

The Del Lighting stuff seems like a lot of money (I have no frame of refereance), but if I were doing an installation I would want to use stuff just like theirs. Looks very cool!