Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Toshiba SVM disabling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott_AH

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted March 21 2003 - 03:18 PM

Does anyone know the easiest way to disable VSM on a Toshiba 36AF41? I've read several reports and it seems there may be multiple ways to do this. I can't, however, find a person that seems to be sure of what they are talking about. A method using the service menu is preferable as I'd rather not open up the back panel if possible. Does anyone have this TV or know how to disable this for certain?

Scott

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Richard Paul

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted March 21 2003 - 06:29 PM

Unfortunately I can't tell you how to disable VSM on your TV, but I can suggest how you can find out. When I bought a Panasonic CT-36D32 it had VSM and no way to turn it off in the customer menu. I was able to buy the service manual from Panasonic and after 2 weeks of waiting and 15 minutes of reading had the VSM disabled. The only problem with this is not all companies are willing to sell the service manual for their TVs because of exclusive deals with repair centers Posted Image. The alternatives are cutting wires inside your TV which is even more dangerous with a direct-view than a RPTV and not recommended at all, or paying a ISF certified technician to calibrate your TV. I believe that most good ISF technicians could disable VSM on your TV, but I would ask to make sure.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor

• 998 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 04:02 AM

Scott,

As Richard has described VSM is hard-wired in the AF series. Using Movie Mode will disable VSM and give greater color accuracy.
"By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe."

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott_AH

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 06:08 AM

The only problem is, on my TV, Movie mode sets Color, Brightness, etc at 50%. My Avia calibration is miles away from these settings. Does anyone have any tips on where to find service manuals????

Scott

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Jim Doolittle

Jim Doolittle

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 12:23 AM

Select "Movie" mode, then you can tweak from there. The SVM will not turn back on as long as you first enter movie mode, then tweak the other controls.
Jim Doolittle

Member ISF since 1994. ISF employee since 1996. Joe Kane Productions employee since 1996. Providing calibration and alignment services. Equipped with Philips PM5639 color analyzer, TVS Pro optical comparator, Sencore 5000, Sencore VP300, and 10 years experience.
jim@jimdoo.com
781-...

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianDB

BrianDB

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 06:26 AM

http://www.keohi.com....sh_manual.html

for the Manuals.
Never argue with an idiot.

They'll drag you down to thier level and slaughter you with experience.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott_AH

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 07:53 AM

Jim, when I enter any new settings in movie mode, the set returns to "Memory" mode. Now just to be sure of what you're saying, the SVM will still be disabled anyway?

Scott

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Jim Doolittle

Jim Doolittle

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 10:40 AM

Scott,

Correct, the moment you make a change in "Movie" mode you are now in preference mode, but the SVM will not turn back on as long as you start the tweaking from "Movie" mode.
Jim Doolittle

Member ISF since 1994. ISF employee since 1996. Joe Kane Productions employee since 1996. Providing calibration and alignment services. Equipped with Philips PM5639 color analyzer, TVS Pro optical comparator, Sencore 5000, Sencore VP300, and 10 years experience.
jim@jimdoo.com
781-...