What's new

Newbie SACD Question (1 Viewer)

JordanS

Second Unit
Hello friends,

I am anxiously awaiting the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon. I am planning on buying a SACD player, the Sony DVP-NS755V.

I have Adcom Seperates; the GFP-565 Pre-amplifier, and the GFA-545 II Amplifier. Will I be able to run a SACD player off this pre-amplifier and get SACD on two channels?

I am looking into buying a new receiver, however, I am curious if I can at least get two channels of SACD sound with Adcom Seperates.

Thank you for your help, as I am a complete newbie to SACD/DVD-Audio.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
All SACD's play in stereo, some have multi-channel SACD tracks too, and hybrid SACD's add a CD layer. So you can do DSOTM in stereo and someday play it M/C too or play it's CD layer in your portable CD since it's a hybrid. I'm waiting for my copy and it's in the mail!:) Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jordan, Rachael is right on the money. I will add that you will connect the 'NS755V to your pre-amp as you would any CD player -- just use two RCA cables. Note that you can only play SACDs through the analog outputs, so if you get a surround-sound receiver or pre/pro with a DSP (digital signal processor), you will not be able to use a digital connection for SACD.

JordanS

Second Unit
I have another question.

I have been discussing my situation with a friend of mine, who sells audio/video. He is telling me that unless I use an optical or digital coaxial cable or a six channel input the sound will be analog and I will not get the effect of what SACD is really supposed to be like. He is insisting that it is meant to be ran through a multi-channel input.

As you know, I have the Adcom GFP-565 II Pre-amplifier. I only have a 2 channel amplifier right now, but plan to get a 5 channel amplifier.

Can someone please tell me what my options are?

I would sincerely appreciate it!

Thank you---Jordan S.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jordan, you friend is far from the best source of information. For SACD playback you have to use analog outputs unless you have the Elite VSX49 and DV47ai which connect to each other digitally. I think Denon will proably have the same arrangement with the 5803 and the universal player they plan to release.

You can play DVD's and CD's out the digital output if you have anyplace to send the digital stream. It sounds like you don't, for now. Your player has a dedicated 2-channel analog output and a 5.1 channel analog output. I hook up both. I prefer stereo SACD's through the 2-channel output. So, just hook up the 2-channel analog out's.

Your friend sounds like he's fixated on the 5.1 thang. SACD stereo consistently crushes CD competition and sometimes beats vinyl. You will like SACD stereo. I'd be into SACD even if all the discs were stereo. You'll get to dabble with 5.1 SACD eventually. Best wishes!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks