Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

JBL SCS150SI's

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   DougKuhn

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted March 21 2003 - 12:57 PM

Went browsing at the local A/V stores today hoping I could listen to a few systems that would fit comfortably in my living room. Came across the JBL SCS150SI's at BestBuy and thought they sounded pretty good. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/comments on them? Looking online, I see I can get them considerably cheaper than at BB.
DBK
Slowly learning.....

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Tom Fl

Tom Fl

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 05:45 AM

I bought the SCS150 at BB for $499, liked them at first but soon decided they were not going to cut it. They did fine for DD or DTS 5.1 but not for 2 channel music. While they had better midrange than some sub/sat speakers in that price range I found they still had holes in some frequencies. They did not seem "bright" enough for music, IMO. I can't recommend any alternatives since I decided to go a completely different route. These speakers proved to me why I have never bought sub/sat's in the past. If you like the sound of them and plan to use mainly for HT they could be a bargain.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   DougKuhn

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for the response Tom. I ended up ordering them from B&H Photo for $359 and free shipping. I plan on using them primarily for HT though and being my living room is 1) oddly shaped, and 2) kind of small...they will do just fine. Should be arriving today too!

As mentioned they will be used primarily used for HT. Music is not a primary function of the receiver for now at least...Posted Image
DBK
Slowly learning.....

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 05:14 AM

No Subwoofer? Or do you have one already, or one comes with the sets of speaks you bought?
~{ Speak of what you know, listen to what you don't.! }~  

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   DougKuhn

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 05:21 AM

Come with a powered 10" front firing sub. They just arrived as a matter of fact. Posted Image
DBK
Slowly learning.....

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 05:32 AM

Not being up on JBL, I didn't know. Excellent that they have arrived already. Hope it fit the bill for you. Get a Rat Shack Analog spl meter and cali disc (VE, Avia, S&V,) soon, if you have not already. Very important to get the most out of your system.. Enjoy Geoff
~{ Speak of what you know, listen to what you don't.! }~  

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   DougKuhn

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 05:41 AM

Good idea. Did not think of that. Need to go down the Ratshack anyway for something else. Will post results once I have them set up. Nearly killed myself wrestling the box up the stairs into the apt. Hee hee.
DBK
Slowly learning.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users