What's new

Parasound Halo or Outlaw (1 Viewer)

Chris_Bald

Grip
I'm getting ready to buy seperates and I'm having a hard time deciding what to get. I'm looking for some help here. The new Halo line looks awesome, especialy since I can get the stuff for cost. Outlaw looks hard to beat for the price. The speakers I'm driving are the Atlantic Tech 450e THX system. Even with my discount the Halo's are more than the Outlaw's, but Parasound has a ten year warranty, is upgradable and flat out looks better. But I am more interested in performance than looks. What do you all think I should do. I am open to other brands as well.

Thanks, Chris

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Chris, if you could, I would do a comparison. I know that Outlaw has a 30 day return policy, and if you want you can try to find someone near you who can lend you his unit for a weekend. If you can get the Halo at cost, then it seems like you have some sort of connection with a dealer, who might be able to let you borrow a demo unit or something for a weekend. As posted may times before, the best way to compare two units is, if possible, to do an in home demo.
As for other units, I would recommend either the Rotel RSP-1066 or the RSX1055. I went from an Outlaw to a 1055, and I couldn't be happier, as the 1055 is basically the same guts as the 1066 but with five channels of amplification and a tuner added on. I use an Anthem MCA5 as a power amp and the 1055 as the pre. In terms of HT and 5 channel performance, I found the Outlaw and Rotel to be indistinguishable. As for music, the Rotel wins hands down, as it is much more spacious, warm and involving when used for 2 channel listening. Also, the Rotel in silver looks awesome, whereas the Outlaw kind of looks hokey in my opinion, if looks count to you. I am not sure how much higher your price range is, but the Outlaw and the Rotel seem to be the only 2 prepros with the latest sound formats in the sub-$1.5k category. If you do not care about component video switching, or DPLII or DTS-Neo, I would suggest looking for used Lexicon DC2's or EAD Ovations. Both are great for pure 5.1 and 2 channel listening, much better than either the Outlaw or Rotel units, and go for around $1.3-1.7k used. I am looking to move up to a Lexicon MC8, so that is why I am selling my Rotel. Good Luck.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I would go with the Halo if I were you if you can get them at cost. I have heard really good reviews of their stuff, from the A23 amp to the JC1's. I do agree the stuff looks awesome. Honestly, I don't think the two are in the same class. I would think the Halo is just in another class entirely, but you would need an in home demo to really determine for yourself.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
How big is your room? Do you listen to reference levels for movies? What is the nominal impedance and sensitivity of your speakers? Do you need analog bypass or 5.1 inputs?

If you are buying new and need 200 watts, the combos I'd look at in addition to the very nice Outlaw 950/770 combo for $2700 are:
- HK AVR8000 receiver ($1200 new from onecall.com) and a big 3 or 5 channel amp
- B&K AVR507 receiver (very similar preamp section to Ref50)

If buying used, the options under $4k increase.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
If I could get the Halo at cost. I would go that way without a hesitation. If nothing else. Resale value alone would make the decision an easy one. As for the sound differences. I haven't had any first hand experience with Outlaw. Just what I've read here and elsewhere. But, have listened to the Halo two channel amp and preamp. Very nice sounding stuff. But, it's your cash on the line. ;)

Good luck!

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Lee,

So you think I made up the user Chris_Bald to create this thread? Like I need to hide behind anything. I've helped more people on these forums, on and off line, than you can even begin to dream about. But keep dreaming.

See this thread, I wasn't recommending Halo at normal 10-15% discounts, was I?

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=130566

Lee Daza

Agent
Ok my bad. It just seemed a little too coincidental considering how persistent the comparison of an Outlaw to higher priced brands, sans a significant price difference, was made by you Ricky. You did start the other thread about the Rotel right? And from the link you just provide you say:

btw, I've owned several amp brands and currently use three parasounds: two 2200II 250x2 amps and one 806 80x6 amp, all purchased used for $1900 TOTAL (retail $4800). I'm pretty much a parasound freak and know most of the specs and current used prices for most of the parasound line
But hey, like I said, lots of coincidences in this world of ours. I apologize, but your being a 'parasound freak', the fact that you purchased $4800 worth of Parasound gear for $1900, your having over the past few days belittled a comparison of Outlaw gear to much more expensive stuff, and having posted the rather sarcastic Rotel thread the morning of this fortuitous thread's creation, and this very subject being Chris_Bald's first and only post at this at this very convenient time, form a rather coherent picture. But hey, one of my skills is to detect patterns in the void... apparently I detected something that wasn't there.

My bad.:b

BTW- I've been posting on message boards since I had to dial up to Compuserve using a blazing 1200bps modem. I've seen the tactic I thought was being used here many, many times. I guess it's hard to turn off a bull#$@t detector once it's burned into your brain.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I was also considering the Parasound Halo, but needed the choice to use bass management via the 6 channel (or is that 8 channels on the Halo?) analog inputs. The Parasound does not provide any bass management options via these inputs.

I was disappointed when I learned this, as my local dealer was going to give me over 20% off.

I ended up buying the Anthem AVM20. It offers the user a choice between using the bass management on the 6 channel inputs, or using it as a straight bypass with no processing.

If the bass management issue I described above is of no concern to you, then I would certainly suggest you get the Parasound Halo over the Outlaw, especially considering the deal you can get.

JimmyK

Chris_Bald

Grip
What is going on in this forum? I thought this was supose to be an "adult" forum? Why is some guy getting attacked? This is my first post, I hope it is not the last? Don't jump to conculsions about others. I don't know the history, and I don't want to. I just want some advice!

Now, the Parasound Halo products I'm looking at are the C2 controller and either the A51 or 52 amp. I'm looking at their products because of the deal I can get on them. I was comparing to Outlaw because the price and reviews seem great. I honestly don't know if I could tell the difference, not being an audiophile and all. Right now all I have running my 450e's is an old Harmon Kardon AVR65.

What do you all think? Is Halo the way to go? Which amp should I get? The smaller 52 or go big with the 51? I'm planning on using this equipment for a long time.

Thanks, Chris

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Chris-
I only have the 2 channel A 23, but I can tell you that I absolutely love it. It has done wonders for my system. I was considering upgrading to the A 52. The A 51 is way out of my budget. The C2 combined with either would be very nice!:emoji_thumbsup:

John H

Second Unit
Chris,

I have been using a C2 in my system for about 6 weeks. I am very impressed with the piece.

I had used Parasounds AVC-2500 for a couple of years and sold it as it was becoming sound format outdated. I used a Pioneer VSX-49TX as a pre/pro for several months before purchasing the HALO.

The one thing I notice most is the detail and smooth steering on multi-channel movie material.

I spoke with Richard Schram at Parasound on the HALO controlers. Below is a quote from an e-mail.

"You are correct about the primary differences between the C 1 and C 2.
They run the same Software and operate similarly.
The simple fact is that we under-priced the C 2 to disrupt the industry a bit.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a C2 at cost.

As far as your choice of amplification. That would depend on the size of your room, the sensitivity of your speakers and how loud you listen to material.

Good luck,
John

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Lee,

If "Ricky T" started that Rotel thread, then that's me alright. Please post in THAT thread if you have something to say on that topic, and allow me to repeat my original questions to Chris as I am trying to help him (believe it or not).

Chris,

How big is your room? Do you listen to reference levels for movies? What is the nominal impedance and sensitivity of your speakers? Are you buying 5 or 7 amp channels?

Pamela,

Perhaps those new Mosfet devices and other enhancements did provide a substantial improvement in sound over the classic Parasounds? If only Halo made a 3 channel amp :)

Chris_Bald

Grip
My room is 10' by 20'. As my system now stands I cannot listen to movies at reference levels, but I want to be able to. I have the Atlantic Tech 450e THX system. I believe they are 8ohms with a 88-90db sens', I am not exactly sure. If I'm going Halo I can only get a five channel amp, so I need to decide on either the A51 or A52. I want the system to work for a future room either in the same house, when I add on or in another home in the future. I believe my system is alittle overkill for my room as of now, but who the hell cares.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I think 125 watts would be fine for ~ 89-90 dB, 8 ohm speakers. What are the retail prices for the A52 and A51?

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Perhaps those new Mosfet devices and other enhancements did provide a substantial improvement in sound over the classic Parasounds? If only Halo made a 3 channel amp
Ok, smart-fart :laugh:

Actually it's the glowing blue lights. They're mesmerizing. Hypnotizing. And they make the music so much more detailed and spacious. :D

In all seriousness, I really do love the sound. I do realize however, that there are other similar amps out there that could probably give me the same desired results. But i stumbled onto this one and I ain't lettin' go!

The A 52 retails for $1995 and the A 51 retails for $3995 (or somewhere around there).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks