What's new

Loud buzzing on stereo speakers (1 Viewer)

MikeTH

Auditioning
I am installing my first DVD player, a Panasonic DVD-S35. My plan was to hook the audio
through my 15+ year old Kenwood (M1) stereo via the tape B input on the control amp. CD's
sound fine in this configuration but the problem starts when I connect to my 6 year old, 27"
Panasonic Stereo TV. Connected to the TV attenna is coax for analog cable via a descrambler
box and a Sharp VHS to Video-2 via a dual RCA audio/video cable. When the DVD player is
connected via S-video or composite to Video-1 a loud buzzing is heard in the stereo speakers
even when the stereo is set to minimal volume. It seems that any path between the TV and
the stereo causes this as I've got the same results if the only connection is between the
TV's audio out and the stereo's Tape B in. I've tried reversing the polarity on the stereo
which hasn't helped. The only resolution I've found is to connect the DVD to the TV alone,
using the TV speakers (S-Video & Dual RCA for L/R audio).

So am I destined to listen to DVD movie soundtracks through my TV speakers until I upgrade
the TV or is there some other way to resolve this. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
MikeTH

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
since the problem only started when you connected your tv, my guess is that your coax antenna cable is the problem.

try hooking everything up, but don't connect the tv coax to the wall. see if you still get the buzzing.

MikeTH

Auditioning
Thanks, Ted

You hit the nail on the head. If the cable coax is disconnected, the buzzing stops. Its
definitely before the VCR & descrambler since if I disconnect the coax from the descrambler
input, the buzzing stops.

So now do I have to go bug the cable company, switch to satellite, or do I have another
option. There is a grounded block before the cable enters the house which is connected
(but not real soundly) to the water spigot. I will see if changing that has an impact.

Thanks Again,
MikeTH

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
cool mike -

glad we diagnosed the problem. unfortunately i have no clue how to solve it. this is a pretty common thing, but when i did a search here i had a hard time finding any good threads with solutions!

you can try the search feature yourself too...maybe you'll get better results.

the only one i found is this one. it does appear the guy found a solution. check it out and see if it helps.

otherwise, hopefully someone else will be able to chime in. good luck!

sam_canavo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike

I had a similar problem with computer to receiver.
I got a power bar with cable in/out and that fixed the
humming/buzzing. Give it a try.

MikeTH

Auditioning
Thanks guys,

I finally got a chance to try out the fix suggested in the link in Ted's post. Radio Shack still has the same product numbers (15-1253 & 15-1140) for the 2 75-300 Ohm attenna transformers. Connected them together and installed them between the incoming cable and the descrambler . . . problem solved, buzzing is gone.

:)

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks