What's new

Rotel Owners News Alert: The 1066 Prepro is way undervalued! (2 Viewers)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
News Alert! Since the Rotel 1066 prepro at 1500 retail (before dealer discount) is at least as good as the Outlaw 950. And since the Outlaws and countless Outlaw owners believe that their $899 prepro is just as good, straight up, as prepros costing 3-4k, then YOUR Rotel 1066 must be too :D

I'm sure if someone offered you, straight up (no cash exchanged) for a B&K Ref50, Anthem AVM20, Sunfire TheaterIII, Aragon Stage One, Halo C2, you would be indifferent and probably wouldn't do it. And the upcoming Rotel 1098 at ~ $3k....does Rotel even need to launch this product? I mean if the Rotel 1066/Outlaw 950 is already just as good as the above mentioned $3-4k prepros, is there a need? Or perhaps Rotel (and Outlaw) will continue to defy the price/performance curve that most other brands adhere to and the new 1098 will directly take on the likes of Theta Casablanca II, Lexicon MC12, Meridian 861 :D

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Chuck,

I was just hoping if anyone who owns or has tested the Rotel 1066 can confirm whether or not it sounds as good as the B&K, Anthem, Sunfire, Aragon.

You know that over the past 6-7 years on these forums, I have helped countless dozens of people, offline and online, with system choices and getting great discounts to maximize their price/performance ratios.

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
Great.....Power conditioners anyone?

So it's pointless to say upgrade from a RSP-1066 to AVM-20?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
So it's pointless to say upgrade from a RSP-1066 to AVM-20?
Daniel,
It all depends on the features your looking for. I have the 1066 and am very pleased with it's sound. If you are a mostly movie watcher with little or moderate music listening, then going for the avm20 over the 1066 might not be worth the significant price difference. By most accounts the AVM20 has the edge musically. But is it worth double the price? Only you can decide that.

Good Luck

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
For double the price you could get a decent stereo preamp that would outperform the Anthem handily for music.

Cheers,
Mike

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
For double the price you could get a decent stereo preamp that would outperform the Anthem handily for music.
My audition of the AVM-20 vs. the Bryston BP-25 preamp says otherwise, at least for me. Music was far more balanced and realistic with the AVM-20 in analog bypass mode than with the BP-25. Many of the reviews indicate that the AVM-20 more than holds its own against quality 2 channel preamps. All that, and the convenience of a one box solution.

Anyway, I agree with Dalton in that it is up to the individual to decide which processor best suits their needs. Any suggestion other than that becomes a pissing contest.

Michael

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
Dalton,
I also have the 1066 and I'm pleased with it as well. For about five years, I watched mostly movies and only listened to music in the car. Then the 1066 came along and it sounded so good that I even upgraded to better speakers (Studio 100) for the music. Now slightly more music than movies, so (with the huge AVM20 thread here) it makes me wonder if I should upgrade.

I know, Michael. It's a tough one, it's been bothering me for a week now and I can't get one home to compare.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Daniel,

I know the feeling. I went through several receivers and processors over the course of 2+ years. I was surprised on more than one occasion what worked with our system and what didn't. Prior to auditioning the AVM-20, we were not pleased with our system for music. Our experience with the AVM-20 was much like yours when you tried the RSP-1066.

I don't know if the AVM-20 is going to be an improvement over the RSP-1066 in your system. I think this is not a knock on the AVM-20 but more a statement of how good the RSP-1066 is for music. As you probably know or have read here, the law of dimishing returns catches up quite quickly.

At least one thing is for certain and that is if you don't make a change to your system, it will still sound good! :)

Michael

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Well said. Our problem is that we're constantly looking for improvement. When I was looking, the AVM20 was somewhat out of range and it was been compared closely soundwise with the RSP1066, so I opted for 1066. We hardly ever use the tuner, but as soon as it wasn't there, my wife wanted to listened to the radios 'caused she liked Christmas Music. So she poked fun at me about how nice the 1066 is but no tuner (hah!). So off I went to get the tuner RT-1080, another $500. Then I upgraded my speakers. My Paradigm Dealer, of course, carried the AVM20 and found out that I could get the AVM20 from him for 20% off list and no tax if I paid cash. Very very attractive offer. I tried talking him into loaning me one, but he couldn't (we don't know each other that well so it was understandable).

My original intention was improvement on HT and I got that with the 1066. But I ended up listening to music more and I feel that the 1066 has reached its limits for me, that's why the AVM20 has been generating much interest. I guess for me, if I was to make a purchase now it would be the AVM20 since I'm 55/45 music/movie. Although there's no doubt in my mind that the 1066 is a value that's hard to beat. BTW, this was my first separates set up and I was stunned by its performance. To think, I was gonna get a better or one of those flagship receivers.

DanaA

Screenwriter
This has turned out to be a pretty good thread. :emoji_thumbsup: It really isn't about bashing one company or product over another. I have the 1066 and feel that the Anthem probably would do a better job on music and that others would best the Anthem. I seriously doubt that improvements couldn't be made with every system out there. One has to consider how happy they are with their own system and not spend so much time worrying about what else is out there that they can't enjoy their system. I started putting together a HT system less than a year and a half ago by buying my first DVD player, the Toshiba 4700, followed shortly thereafter by the Onkyo 696. I wasn't fully satisfied with the sound, especially two channel, and, the more I focused on it, the more it ate at me. One thing led to another, changes were made, and I'm not really happy with what I have. Would I love to have the Anthem - oh yes, you bet. But, I'm happy with my Rotel and can wait a couple of years until I get the itch again to upgrade. I know that the Anthem probably does sound better than the Rotel. For the money, who knows? Both are probably pretty good deals at their price point.

I'd also like to mention that I was happy as heck with the Zenith all-in-one portable system my parents gave me one Christmas in high school and that I have many friends who are completely satisfied with their $400 systems that play their favorite CD's at home. Boards filled with enthusiasts tend to skew the perspective toward a much higher level, but that's why many of us are here. People who don't share this enthusiasm sometimes look at me like I'm crazy for being so "into" my hobby and when they hear how much cables can cost...:b

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Just to let the first poster know. I had the RSP-1066 AND AVM20v2 both in-house for 2 days. I was driving them with a RMB-1095 and RB-1050. And I kept the RSP-1066, because for 2 times the price, the difference was minimal.

Yes, maybe for 2 channel audio there was a big difference, but I have 7.1 speakers, so I listen to music in 7.1 mode. It's my choice, and I really prefer listening to DVD-A in 5.1 (I own 25 titles) and every 2 channel source IN 7.1. All my speakers are equidistant.

It's not a question of price, because I could afford any gear I want. It's only that spending money to spend money is not my type. If the sound is REALLY better, then I pay. If not, I don't. For my ears, the RSP-1066 was the best deal for the price.

It's a matter of personnal choice, but listening to a 2 ch source in 7.1 is the way to go for my ears.

It's only my personnal opinion tough.

:D :D :D

Nick V

Second Unit
Get a RSX-1055 receiver for $300.00 less.It is a 1066 with five 75watt high current amps and a tuner!!
Has this ever been officially confirmed?? I have read MUCH speculation about them being "similar" or "pretty much the same", but are the processing and preamp sections of the two units IDENTICAL??

If not, then it gets into the whole argument of which one sounds better, and which one is the better value, although they would most definitely sound very similar.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Wow,

What a difference there is in a "Rotel thread" versues an "Outlaw thread". I applaud the Rotel crowd majority for understanding that most of the time you DO get what you pay for and that while Rotel is a GREAT product it is not however an Anthem avm-20 or Aragon Stageone. Rotel owners I salute you.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

My audition of the AVM-20 vs. the Bryston BP-25 preamp says otherwise, at least for me. Music was far more balanced and realistic with the AVM-20 in analog bypass mode than with the BP-25. Many of the reviews indicate that the AVM-20 more than holds its own against quality 2 channel preamps.
I have no doubt that the Anthem does a good job in stereo, but I was thinking of stereo preamps along the line of more "boutique" companies such as AKSA (the GK-1), Bent Audio's TX102, Transcendant's Grounded Grid etc that are relatively affordable but offer outstanding value-for-money and performance, and are not compromised by the extra circuity and complexity of a HT pre. But I guess that sometimes 2 boxes are not better than 1 and you will be the best judge of that. :)

Cheers,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks