Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

CP72 Owners...How loud is your player?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   BrianGC

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted March 20 2003 - 02:37 PM

To all CP72 owners, how loud is your player? Specifically I'm wondering how far away from the unit do you have to be before you can't hear the motor during playback. Has anyone tested this with the volume down all the way just to see how loud?

Thanks,
BrianGC

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   jeff lam

jeff lam

Screenwriter

• 1,806 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted March 21 2003 - 05:22 AM

I consider mine to be very quiet. My older sony was louder but strangely enough it varried between the disc being played.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted March 21 2003 - 11:34 AM

I have to get within about a foot of my CP-72 to actually hear it running.
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Trina

Trina

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted March 21 2003 - 12:55 PM

Mines quiet enough that I've never given it a thought. However, it's on right now and after turning the volume off, I don't hear anything unless I get right up on the player.

T

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Mark All

Mark All

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 05:30 AM

I find mine to be rather loud and clunky when it's changing discs and starting up. When the discs are playing, the transport is audible to me from 12 feet with the receiver muted. I've never noticed the player when a movie has been playing though. It's no louder than other players in its price range though.
Audio, ergo sum.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 03:14 AM

i agree with what MARK said.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 06:02 AM

The less expensive players with their less robust construction (thinner sheeting) have more audible drive motors. The more robust players probably have similarly "noisy" motors but the sound is dampened by the beefier construction.

My bedroom unit, a lower-end Toshiba, can be noticeably noisy, though not to the point of interfering with the programming.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. (If, however, you start hearing grinding noises or if the chassis begins to vibrate visibibly then there's trouble.)

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 06:28 AM

Agreed: my CP72 is dead silent as far as I can tell unless it is changing disks or skipping scenes/starting playback (pretty noisy then). I'm anywhere between 3-8 ft away from my TV.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit

• 300 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 10:49 AM

My CP72 is enclosed in a cabinet. I never hear it.