What's new

I need a good learning remote (1 Viewer)

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
I think I've got 5 or 6 remotes. I need a good universal remote, but I don't want to spend more than 150.00 if I can find one on ebay.
I've looked at marantz rc200mkII, sony touchscreen, and some jbl/microsoft tc 1000 take control touchscreen. I don't think I could afford a pronto or the higher end marantz. Any suggestions?

John

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... I was going to get the SL9000 to replace my old SL8000, but the MX500 sounds way better for ~$40 more. It's more than I wanted to spend on a remote, but it sounds worthwhile.

Personally, I don't like touchscreens.

_Man_

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
About a month ago I replaced my six remotes with a $15 One For All 8L via Walmart. It's nothing fancy but I had 6 and now I'm down to 1.

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
I just got an MX-500 a couple of days ago.

I'm loving it. I paid about $115, can't beat it.

Tom

PaulT

Supporting Actor
I also love the MX-500, wouldn't trade it for anything.
http://www.bluedo.com/bluedocgi/prod...i?model=MX-500
http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/Mer...uct_Code=MX500 (sorry Mike ;))

If you are leaning to a touch screen, the new Kameleon line at Radio Shack has less functionality but a lower price point.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2133
Their Universal remote line has also been popular for a good price, get one that 'learns':
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2116

The One For All line is also a good bargain as per Carl's post, and they make 3 through 8 device unit's, again, purchase one that has learning capability.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
mx-500 all the way. read the review over at remotecentral.com and you'll see why it's so well liked.

or, just do a search here. you'll see how often it's mentioned and/or recommended.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
If you prefer a touchscreen remote, the Philips refurb TS1000 mentioned above would be your best bet. For an all-button remote, go with the crowd and get an MX-500. :D

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Man-Fai Wong: Run, don't walk to an MX-500. I had an SL-9000 and thought it was a great remote. But there is simply no comparison between it and the MX-500. I think it's safe to say that you'll be quite surprised at the improvement...

Robley

Grip
I just bought an RCA rcu1000b for 79.99 at target.
havent had much time to play with it yet. Any one else
have this? I would like to know what you think about it.
is it easy to program...reliable...etc.

Mike Likens

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought a Radio Shack Kameleon last night. Got it home and played with it for a couple hours. I have my basic functions programmed via the universal codes it provides and taught it a few select codes for convenience(5.1 ext input, direct mode, fluorescent dimming,etc). Need to work on macros tonight.

So far I love this thing. It's easy on the eyes, comfortable to hold and easy to program. It even has moving icons to let you know what device you are operating. If 6 devices are all you need to control and you do not need to be too sophisticated then for $60 its a steal (if you can find one)

Alan M

Second Unit
I'll throw in my vote for the kameleon remote also.Its controling my ht which consists of 6 different manufacturers products and can be upgraded by telephone w/new codes.The macros also work well doing multi work.
The kameleon has the look of an lcd screen,with the tactile feel of buttons.
With that said,any of the remotes mentioned in this thread would be a good choice for you im sure.
Good luck and happy remote shopping.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
If 6 devices are all you need to control and you do not need to be too sophisticated then for $60 its a steal (if you can find one)
Early this summer, One for All will be releasing their version of the Kameleon with support for 8 devices, more available buttons, more macros and more learning capability. It also has more of a rounded edge to it as well. List price will be $80, but One for Alls are usually discounted pretty heavily, so it may be closer to the price of the Radio Shack version.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Another vote for the Kameleon..most amazing remote for the money ($60).

Mine replaced my Sony AV2100 and I haven't regretted it at all. The Kameleon is much easier to program, use, and best of all is "wife friendly" :)

I got mine in October and it's been a real treat using it.

For the money, you can't go wrong..I say give it a try.

Alfer

Robley

Grip
well I took the rca remote back...worst purchase I ever made
every time I programed functions from another remote it
would work great 'till it shut off then all learned
functions would be lost...maybe I'll try the mx 500

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks